Tdi fuel filter? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 9th, 2010, 09:00 PM
crobinson
Chris Robinson
97' D1

Tdi fuel filter?

Which Land Rover diesel engine does this fuel filter belong to?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	087.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	32901   Click image for larger version

Name:	088.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	32902  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I'd say it's not a filter, but a sedimenter. Looks very similar to my 300Tdi, but I have not seen one on a 200Tdi so I don't know the difference.
Old November 9th, 2010, 11:10 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Are you selling it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2010, 08:02 AM
crobinson
Chris Robinson
97' D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherring View Post
Are you selling it?
Maybe.

It depends if I need it or not. It was in the 300 Tdi conversion parts crate I got from Britannica Restorations Ltd.
Old November 10th, 2010, 02:59 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

You don't "need" one but if you fit one make sure you clean it regularly as it's amazing how much jelly (bacteria + water) it collects. I noticed problems with fuel delivery at about 7500km that required the first cleaning. In the future it will be cleaned well every 5000km at the oil change.

So, yes you don't need one, but they do remove a lot and that.means your particulate filter will last longer which is why I added one. I am considering adding a rotofilter to the oil system for the same reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old November 10th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
You don't "need" one but if you fit one make sure you clean it regularly as it's amazing how much jelly (bacteria + water) it collects. I noticed problems with fuel delivery at about 7500km that required the first cleaning. In the future it will be cleaned well every 5000km at the oil change.
Really, I've never found anything in mine.

Where are you buying fuel?
Old November 10th, 2010, 03:34 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

All over, I suspect it may have gotten wet from a Jerry can filling but still, an added layer of protection is not a bad thing when it comes to the cost of ve pump and injectors.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old November 10th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Chris as has been said its a sedementor fitted as standard to 2 & 300tdi on discos and export 90 /110 it was also an option on other vehicles.

if you have one fit it.

water in the fuel is common due to the poor design of the filler on 90/110 which allows water to enter when filling in the rain,it also traps grit and rust flakes and other crap introduced via cans etc.

give it a good clean and buy a rebuild kit for it (a few seals & replacement plastic drain tap) as the drain tap often snaps if it has been neglected as they are tucked out of the way on a disco and often missed.

regards
all

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, tdi