Tdi Exhaust Decisions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 12th, 2015, 06:08 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Tdi Exhaust Decisions

It's time to decide which direction to head re exhaust.

I'm swapping a disco 200 with a 300 turbo in a 2.5NA 110. Never do this combo btw! Its a complete pita of extra time and effort.

There will be some custom fab work needed to get past the engine mount but once I'm past the mount I've read the 300 non-cat pipes follow the same line the NA.

Any experiences out there to share re the 300 being more straightforward than the 200?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post

I'm swapping a disco 200 with a 300 turbo in a 2.5NA 110. Never do this combo btw! Its a complete pita of extra time and effort.

There will be some custom fab work needed to get past the engine mount but once I'm past the mount I've read the 300 non-cat pipes follow the same line the NA.

Any experiences out there to share re the 300 being more straightforward than the 200?
Complete pita ? Very straight forward and easy when compared to most any other engine swap.
On Cabell's truck we took the local muffler shop a 300 tdi down pipe so they had the flanges etc and had them make a down pipe to mate to the new 300tdi exhaust system. They also bent up the hard intercooler pipes we needed. Cost was less than $200 and took under 2hrs.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 12th, 2015, 06:43 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Cool! I have a 300 down pipe and I left the old NA system from the xmember back in place so a shop can follow the lines. I should be pretty set then.

Yeah, I've spent a ton of time spinning my wheels on air hoses, the whole electric fan, sender and wiring, power steering pipes and now exhaust.

Had I gone Defender and not Disco I could have a more stock configuration. That's all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2015, 09:22 PM
BostonAndy
Andrew
Moose :: 1985 110

Registry
I believe Randy (TDIguy) could get this option for exhausts premade from the UK. I could be wrong.
Old December 12th, 2015, 09:54 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Clay, you need to go custom.
At least a 6" stack straight outta the roof.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old December 12th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Cool! I have a 300 down pipe and I left the old NA system from the xmember back in place so a shop can follow the lines. I should be pretty set then.

Yeah, I've spent a ton of time spinning my wheels on air hoses, the whole electric fan, sender and wiring, power steering pipes and now exhaust.

Had I gone Defender and not Disco I could have a more stock configuration. That's all.
I wouldn't plumb a tdi into the 2.5 natural exhaust system. There is a 40+ hp difference between the two engines and the tdi will not breath through that 2.5 system worth a damn.

------ Follow up post added December 12th, 2015 09:59 PM ------

Quote:
I think you will be happy with the end product- stock configuration leaves a bit to be desired anyway.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 12th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I originally ran my TDI through the NA exhaust and later switched to a 300tdi version. There was no change in peak power. The turbo come on a little bit earlier though.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 13th, 2015, 08:12 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Clay, you need to go custom. At least a 6" stack straight outta the roof. .
that's a given. Ha!

------ Follow up post added December 13th, 2015 08:21 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I wouldn't plumb a tdi into the 2.5 natural exhaust system. There is a 40+ hp difference between the two engines and the tdi will not breath through that 2.5 system worth a damn. ------ Follow up post added December 12th, 2015 09:59 PM ------ I think you will be happy with the end product- stock configuration leaves a bit to be desired anyway.
Sorry, I didn't explain that very well
Doug. I'm not planning to keep/use the NA exhaust. I just left it hanging back there for the shop to follow.

I'm stoked to get it back in the road but I have started to worry if anything had gotten inadvertently missed. The IP and injectors have been idle for a long time so I'm not sure yet how friendly they'll be when they get woken up.

Old December 13th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Clay, you need to go custom.
At least a 6" stack straight outta the roof.

Maybe something like this Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450015206.213004.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	136909

Old December 13th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
that's a given. Ha!

------ Follow up post added December 13th, 2015 08:21 AM ------

Sorry, I didn't explain that very well
Doug. I'm not planning to keep/use the NA exhaust. I just left it hanging back there for the shop to follow.

I'm stoked to get it back in the road but I have started to worry if anything had gotten inadvertently missed. The IP and injectors have been idle for a long time so I'm not sure yet how friendly they'll be when they get woken up.
The ip and injectors should be fine as long as no trash got between the filter and the pump. Debris ruins injectors. If you have any issues the guys in your home town are the go to -Blue Ridge Diesel.
Ask for Elton.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 13th, 2015, 09:58 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Yeah, this the gift that came in my basket so we'll see. I might be headed to Salem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-105832735.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	562.7 KB
ID:	136913  

Old December 13th, 2015, 10:04 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

The real problem with Land Rover and most other exhaust systems are the exhaust manifold studs and nuts.
Even with brass, stainless, or copper coated nuts, they all will eventually seize.

Luckily the 300TDI studs are 10mm, unlike the smaller studs used on the V8 engines and Series 2.25 engines.
These 5/16" or 8mm studs easily twist and break.

The solution I have used are 3 bolt exhaust unions made from 1/4" or 3/8" steel.
Then you can weld in a very short down pipe and connect it with a union.
In that way, you can unbolt the down pipe at the union without ever having to unbolt the pipe from the manifold as long as the exhaust gasket holds out.

The issue with custom exhaust systems from an exhaust shop, you'll get a one piece exhaust system that requires cutting and welding to remove a transmission of transfer case.

On a Defender style vehicle, I buy mandrel bent pipe and weld it in sections with the exhaust union located in the optimal positions for maintenance, then use the galvanized Mercedes 300D muffler connected to the rear 300TDI pipe and resignator. This gives you virtually a lifetime muffler, sectioned exhaust, and a stock rear pipe to "climb over" the rear diff and exit in the factory location.

You'll need to angle the front pipe away from the left motor mount.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 13th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I still don't understand the obsession with using a 300tdi system all the way back. but, if it works and all the hangers line up then no problem.

Yes a defender engine would have been much less time consuming to do.

For example we had to grind on the new turbo manifold and the intake manifold in order for them to fit.

Granted I've had to do that on 2.25 motors when fitting new exhaust manifolds with old intakes so no biggie. But woudn't have been an issue in many other circumstances.

All said and done we still aren't much over two weeks of labor and that involves significant repairs to the engine as well as rust repair to the chassis and a power steering conversion.

My advice to Clay was to do a custom exhaust using the downpipe we got from Brewie and the NA pipes as the pattern. As it turns out, the downpipe we got from Brewie is a flaming POS (I'm assuming he didn't make) and goes under the crossmember or so Clay tells me.

So now it seems the better plan would be to use a 200tdi stock center and rear pipes with a custom 300tdi front pipe modded to clear the motor mount. Said front pipe might also need a union to make it so you don't have to remove the trans x-member to put it on.

It reallly isn't complicated and doesn't really warrant a forum post IMO but please everyone chime in with their personal experience and shit you read on the internet.

Cheers

Quote:

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old December 13th, 2015, 10:56 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
The ip and injectors should be fine as long as no trash got between the filter and the pump. Debris ruins injectors. If you have any issues the guys in your home town are the go to -Blue Ridge Diesel.
Ask for Elton.
Am familiar with trash clogging injectors.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 13th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
I still don't understand the obsession with using a 300tdi system all the way back. but, if it works and all the hangers line up then no problem.
It is low cost. It flows better than the earlier systems. It is a stock solution using stock parts.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 13th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It is low cost. It flows better than the earlier systems. It is a stock solution using stock parts.
Yeah I got a 300 TDI exhaust for my 84 90. Not one of the hangers was in the right place and the hump for the crossmember was in the wrong place creating fit issues.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old December 13th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
not 300 obsession (I ran a straight pipe as you know)- more like a vehement hatred of anything to do with 2.5 naturals and 19j's
ime switching exhausts means also getting the correct hangers.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 14th, 2015, 10:25 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
On a Defender style vehicle, I buy mandrel bent pipe and weld it in sections with the exhaust union located in the optimal positions for maintenance, then use the galvanized Mercedes 300D muffler connected to the rear 300TDI pipe and resignator. This gives you virtually a lifetime muffler, sectioned exhaust, and a stock rear pipe to "climb over" the rear diff and exit in the factory location.

You'll need to angle the front pipe away from the left motor mount.
Robert, any pictures of this?

Also, where do you source the 3 bolt exhaust unions made from 1/4" or 3/8" steel?
Old November 10th, 2017, 04:33 PM
DrZ123
Zach
None

Reviving this instead of starting a new thread because it's sort of on topic.

I am swapping a 300tdi into a 2.5td 110. Got the engine from Zak at Zombie Motors, BIG BIG mistake, but that's for another thread.

Putting in the 300tdi exhaust and it seems the motor mount is in the way of the down pipe.

Please advise on how to get around (pun intended) this issue!

Thx in advance.
Old November 10th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZ123 View Post
Reviving this instead of starting a new thread because it's sort of on topic.

I am swapping a 300tdi into a 2.5td 110. Got the engine from Zak at Zombie Motors, BIG BIG mistake, but that's for another thread.

Putting in the 300tdi exhaust and it seems the motor mount is in the way of the down pipe.

Please advise on how to get around (pun intended) this issue!

Thx in advance.
Pics will go a long way. Let's see what you have.

What was the prob with zombie? I've seen complaints before

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions