TDI engine import cost & who did you use - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 25th, 2009, 09:14 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

TDI engine import cost & who did you use

Can anyone tell me your experience on this & of course the recommended carrier+shipper?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
mine went into whats called a "made up container" ie you have no idea what else is in there, in Liverpool. I brought in everything from the radiator,engine,tranny,tcase and drive shafts. I paid more in exam fee's (customs didn"t like something in the container) and drayage (taking the container back and forth to the exams) than actual shipping. My total was around $900 but should have been cheaper. Cost will depend on where the engine is and how much the courier service you send to pick it up charges to take it to the freight forwarder. That was last summer-the exchange rate is better right now. It was around $2.12 then.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 25th, 2009, 01:26 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

The shipping cost does seem a bit high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2009, 05:18 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Post your experience if you go through with it. Soi everyone can get a better understanding of the costs associated with this. But be discreet with your inbound shipping locations. Close to the chest.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 25th, 2009, 05:33 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I'm trying to put together the logistics now...and overall cost factor...it seems the engines are very reasonable to buy overseas & what they are asking here in the USA is overpriced...I dont mind people making there share of profit,..but I really have a problem when some are making more than what is a reasonable mark up...
Old July 25th, 2009, 05:50 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Well I need to respond to that statement. There are a lot of engines coming to market in UK right now because of their cash for clunker program. Which is a good thing. Many engines that are here now where most likely purchased at a higher exchange rate which is something to consider. And the actual age of all the engines is advanced enough a low mile unit is really not an available option. Because even low miles is 10-15 years old. So realistically any used engine needs a certain amount of work done to it to be put into service with any chance of survival. And no two stories of acquiring and shipping to US will have completely similar instances. So if the price seems out of line from someone keep all this in mind. Success in acquiring and shipping is not gauranteed. So with risk comes opportunism.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 25th, 2009, 05:50 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I think the prices you see for them already landed here in the US accounts for the PITA factor as well as the risk involved.

The onles I have seen posted on d-90 seems like decent prices ( and well worth it IMHO) considering what people have to deal with to get them here.

My motor, rad, intercooler, PS res, diesel filter, coolant res and all hoses and pipes cost me about $600 to get it shipped to my door here in Colorado from the UK.

here is how mine arrived
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motor crate.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	20730  
Old July 25th, 2009, 06:09 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Dave,

Were all the parts from a single company or private party & who was your ship/transport Comapny
Old July 25th, 2009, 06:29 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

from a single company parts arrived in an unmarked white truck so i have no idea what company they used to ship it
Old July 25th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm diggin that big Hella container. My stuff was on an open pallet with a couple ratchet straps keeping it on.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 25th, 2009, 09:35 PM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

It is very important to get the total shipping cost either door to door or to the loading dock in the USA. When you ship LTL (less than load) some Freight Forwarders can be very creative with various handing / processing /documention fees and so on. I have seen and heard of people being overcharged over the years, at the end of the day your pallet in in their warehouse and they have you over a barrel. I was told last week that the going rate for a Land Rover 200 TDI engine was 1000 pounds. There is a 300 TDI Disco MOT failure near my mate for 500 pounds for the whole car which has very high milage.
Old July 25th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjva
I was told last week that the going rate for a Land Rover 200 TDI engine was 1000 pounds. There is a 300 TDI Disco MOT failure near my mate for 500 pounds for the whole car which has very high milage.
You need to keep in mind what Pendy stated above. One engine does not equal the next. In my neck of the woods, I've seen more people get bad engines than good. Getting a good engine is the difficult part. Next you need to make sure you received all of the needed parts. Those extra parts add up very quickly. The safe bet is to bring in an engine and plan to rebuild it. Even without a rebuild, there are a bunch of things it would be crazy not to replace and it really impacts the overall cost.

Shipping is a fun one.... $600 to your door is amazing. Shipping across Canada nearly costs that much.

Oh well. Dropping a 200TDI into a friend's 110 tomorrow. I'll try and remember to ask how much the shipping was and how it was done.
Old July 26th, 2009, 06:38 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Go to Canada, find one in a running truck- drive it, remove front clip, trailer home as parts. Safe and hands on- no surprises. A little time consuming it seems, but not in the long run. Just a thought, as you get all the ancillaries, wiring, etc.
Old July 26th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

3 yrs ago it was $900 door to door for an engine to 300 miles inland northeast.
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

some crazy stats folks, you can almost build a whole company around this. Find the complete enchilada across the pond re-build it & sell it. Ge a whole container & import a sh*t load of parts.......
Old July 26th, 2009, 12:37 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Go for it and let us know how that works out for you
Old July 26th, 2009, 02:40 PM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

There is a whole 200 TDI Land Rover engine icluding starter, altrenator, radiator etc for 995 pounds on ebay.uk right now. Just remember the shipping cost is exactly the same for a totally rebuilt unit as for a worn out high milage lump.
Old July 26th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaD90
some crazy stats folks, you can almost build a whole company around this. Find the complete enchilada across the pond re-build it & sell it. Ge a whole container & import a sh*t load of parts.......
Many have triedup here in Canada. Very few make any money out of it.
Old July 26th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
I had my 300tdi, R380, and 1.4 LT230 shipped in by Safarirover (407.782.7713). I would recommend Stephen to anyone he did the purchasing of the parts and shipping for me so it was nice and easy. Give him a call and see if he can help you. My 300 was complete with 60k on it and the R380 was rebuilt by ashcroft along with the lt230. I got it all for 8k shipped. He took care of the install as well. You can see the results in the build section.

I nearly forgot about your sills. Sorry about that man. When I'm back from the National Rally and Moab, I'll pass em your way no charge if you still want them.

S-P
Old July 27th, 2009, 08:19 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Sean-Paul,

No problem with the sills, let me know.
Stephen is knee deep in projects & I'm waiting on a slot for him to work on my truck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, import, tdi