TDI coolant line T valve Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 9th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
TDI coolant line T valve Question

My plastic 3 way valve is looking kinda flimsy. this is the 3 way valve in the small lines that run between the radiator and coolant reservoir. I want to replace it once and be done with something metal, but I'm wondering if there is a special function of that valve. It lookes like it might have an anti-siphone type functions, otherwise, I don't see whey LR would have given it a bell shape.

Anyone have experience, thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2010, 09:30 AM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
My plastic 3 way valve is looking kinda flimsy. this is the 3 way valve in the small lines that run between the radiator and coolant reservoir. I want to replace it once and be done with something metal, but I'm wondering if there is a special function of that valve. It lookes like it might have an anti-siphone type functions, otherwise, I don't see whey LR would have given it a bell shape.

Anyone have experience, thoughts?
Picture? I have a 200Tdi and a 300Tdi, and I'm not sure either one of mine has what you are talking about. Of course, once I see a picture....
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Mine is just a moulded T hose. That plastic thing was prob put there by someone not wantiing to spend $$ on a moulded hose. SO they put a parts store T junction there instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2010, 11:06 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

There are now some silicone hoses available for the coolant lines, not a bad investment as they deal with heat much better than rubber does and are likely to out-last the engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
Mine is just a moulded T hose. That plastic thing was prob put there by someone not wantiing to spend $$ on a moulded hose. SO they put a parts store T junction there instead.
actually, that is the actual piece that came with my create 2.8 from M&D engineering. If your's is molded however, that answers my question, as there would be not special function in your hose, that I thought this T valve would be offering.
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Its a factory part on later 300's, not a cheap T from a hardware store. Excuse my filthy engine compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tdi coolant valve.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	33869  

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 9th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Naplm00
Matthew

HA i guess LR was trying to save some $$
Old December 9th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
HA i guess LR was trying to save some $$
Pretty sure its an anti suction valve as Mark eluded to. The part is called "Pump expansion tank ejector"
part# ESR2348

Looks like the only way to replace it is to buy as an assembly

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.php...=19&currency=2

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 9th, 2010, 12:54 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

It is a one way valve. I though about replacing with a t but there must be some reason for it.

I had an old style one and it looked flimsy... and I broke it. I got a new one from George and it is more stout.
Old December 9th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post
It is a one way valve. I though about replacing with a t but there must be some reason for it.

I had an old style one and it looked flimsy... and I broke it. I got a new one from George and it is more stout.
I think it keep's coolant from blowing up into the reservoir in the event you overheat- ie keep it in the block

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 9th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Naplm00
Matthew

ah neat! learn something new everyday
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
I think it keep's coolant from blowing up into the reservoir in the event you overheat- ie keep it in the block
Good information, but I don't get that logic. In the event of overpressure, the logic is to release the pressure before blowing hoses out. The pressure cap is in the reservoir, so the pressure would need to travel into the reservoir to be released. if it's blocked, then pressure would build up in the circulation system and blow the weakest hose. Working in reverse logic, we want the entire system to be able under pressure to purge collected air from circulation up into the reservoir, and on cool down to syphon coolant back into the circulation system to replace that air, so movement in both directions is a good thing.

Screw the damn 3 way. There's absolutely no compelling logic for it. I'm putting in a brass T valve and calling it a day. That'll take that flimsy piece of crap off my worry list!

BTW on a different but related note. As part of my webasto and heat exchanger install, I've replaced almost all of my formed 3/4" and 5/8" hoses with common straight hose, and used Helicoils to form all the custom bends, and they work AWESOME! I love how perfect the bends are, and that now I can carry common straight hose as part of my spares for any kind of hose repair.

BTW, did some ninja google action and looks like ESR2348 was superceded with PCH117840 (there is also a PCH117840-A and PCH117840-B, have no idea how the 3 differ...RHD vs LHD maybe?). RN has them, and they are not expensive.
Old December 9th, 2010, 07:18 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

It's some kind of one-way valve to prevent backflow/reverse direction flow through the resevoir - I bought one to replace a "Y" I had put temporarily in my cooling system with my 300 TDI conversion.

There are two hoses going into the resevoir. One is the little hose that goes into a "Y" fitting and splits off to the top of the radiator and the top of the thermostat housing... the two high points in the coolant system aside from the heater core.

There is a second larger hose that goes from the bottom of the 'hot' radiator hose - the one that goes "to" the engine - into the resevoir as well.

I think if the pressure in the system builds up enough it's going to find a way via the bottom resevoir hose to escape. However, the top little hoses connected to the "Y" and the high points in the system - where all the gas/steam would collect - would allow immediate escape if the backflow fitting wasn't there. Do we care? ? Also, the backflow fitting allows some kind of directional movement from the bottom reservoir hose, via the resevoir, and back into the top of the radiator and the top of the thermostat housing (and then the exit back into the engine block). In effect, that water circuit is a small radiator/thermostat bypass it would seem.

I dunno definitively what is the harm in not having it, but I didn't want to risk anything and I bought the little thing and swapped out the free-flow "Y" fitting. Overheating is a bitch.

George at RDS has them - they weren't that expensive.
Old December 10th, 2010, 03:04 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I've never broken one in all the years i've run 200 and 300's.
Old December 10th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Mine already has uncomfortable play in the plastic connection points.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:42 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Its a factory part on later 300's, not a cheap T from a hardware store. Excuse my filthy engine compartment.
I finally replaced mine last week, and today I took this old 3 way valve and cut it in half to reveal the mystery of it's intended function. I was surprised to find it's empty internally, so it's nothing more than a 3 way splitter. does not appear to have any capacity to control flow direction. the only thing I could possibly imagine is some kind of air trap, but as its' just below the reservoir, that seems redundant.

I can't imagine any negative effect of replacing it with a brass valve.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant, tdi