Tdi conversion - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 6th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Bpgt3
Brian
none

Tdi conversion

Hi guys...new to the forum. Just getting started with LR over the last few years.
I have an 86 110 with the 2.5 NA.
Looking to increase power and speed. What is the most common conversion? 300tdi, td5? Not sure which ones fit and if it is worth it.
Does the drivetrain need to be changed as well?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2015, 08:34 AM
budzny
Real4X4
NAS 97 ST/NAS 93 110/62
Birthday Committee Team

Brian, Call Mike of NorthAmericaOverland (203) 9965008. His shop located at Monroe.

Sal
Old September 6th, 2015, 09:31 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
200tdi

It will increase how fast you go, but I wouldn't call it speed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2015, 10:37 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
200tdi

Why not go LS V8?
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:29 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
200tdi Why not go LS V8?
because a 200tdi will drop right in and will be the simplest update.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 6th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The LS will be twice the cost and ten times the work. The 200 is an easy weekend job by yourself.

Not sure how long it takes to do the LS conversion but people seem be to months to years into it.

Certainly tons more power but also tons more work and complexity.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 6th, 2015, 12:21 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The LS will be twice the cost and ten times the work. The 200 is an easy weekend job by yourself.

Not sure how long it takes to do the LS conversion but people seem be to months to years into it.

Certainly tons more power but also tons more work and complexity.
I did a 200TDi swap with a buddy in less than 8 hours. Easy peasy indeed.
Old September 6th, 2015, 01:29 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The LS will be twice the cost and ten times the work. The 200 is an easy weekend job by yourself. Not sure how long it takes to do the LS conversion but people seem be to months to years into it. Certainly tons more power but also tons more work and complexity.
Please people, a 200 isn't a weekend job and you should really stop the insanity. Telling people it is something that doesn't remotely exist is akin to forgery. Does it make you feel cool to type shit like this or something? Total dick move bro.

To the original Poster. Given me a call anytime 703-953-5546. I'll give you a sense of what is involved. I'm currently going through the same process.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Please people, a 200 isn't a weekend job and you should really stop the insanity. Telling people it is something that doesn't remotely exist is akin to forgery. Does it make you feel cool to type shit like this or something? Total dick move bro.

To the original Poster. Given me a call anytime 703-953-5546. I'll give you a sense of what is involved. I'm currently going through the same process.

Clay
I guess that depends on your skill set or lack thereof and work ethic or lack thereof. If you are not capable of doing such a job on your own, calling others out as liars and dicks is what is inappropriate. Taking that behavior to another level and offering your advice as an authority on the process when yours is apparently not yet even finished is incredible hubris.

In 2008, I picked up an engine conversion setup from a container stripping warehouse on a Tuesday, and drove the truck to MAR on that Thursday, complete drive train swap, to include welding in frame mounts. I had never done the job before.

On Raubs truck we swapped the entire drivetrain out to include servicing the timing belt, new clutch, etc on a Memorial day weekend. Both of those jobs were considerably more involved than an engine swap. For example, full VDO aux gauge setup with pyrometer, boost etc, in a mudpod mounted on the dash etc.

Entire/complete being everything but front and rear axles

On my brothers 110 done back in 2009, we did the 200 swap from 2.5 petrol on a December day working outdoors and had it up and running same day. He took another couple weekends with a lhd conversion and installing a td5 dash and 1.2 tcase working by himself.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 6th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
A defender 200tdi install replacing a 2.5 is a simple bolt in job. On my truck I did it in a weekend by myself. 12 hours labour. We did a friends truck in 6 hours with three people. If you have all the parts it is quick and easy.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:42 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I guess that depends on your skill set or lack thereof and work ethic or lack thereof. If you are not capable of doing such a job on your own, calling others out as liars and dicks is what is inappropriate. My first tdi swap in 2008, I picked up an engine conversion setup from a container stripping warehouse on a Tuesday, and drove the truck to MAR on that Thursday, complete drive train swap, to include welding in frame mounts. On Raubs truck we swapped the entire drivetrain out to include servicing the timing belt, new clutch, etc on a Memorial day weekend. Both of those jobs were considerably more involved than an engine swap. For example, full VDO aux gauge setup with pyrometer, boost etc, in a mudpod mounted on the dash etc. Entire/complete being everything but front and rear axles On my brothers 110 done back in 2009, we did the 200 swap from 2.5 petrol in a day and had it up and running. He took another couple weekends with a lhd conversion and installing a td5 dash and 1.2 tcase working by himself.
Thats applicable in life everywhere, so that's a constant Doug. This is a new guy asking an important investment question so casually setting the bar at One Weekend is outside the norm IMO.

My apologies for derailing this post.

Old September 6th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Having an opinion/differing experience on a subject from the majority and calling other forum members liars and dicks is a very wide behavioral gulf to cross.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 6th, 2015, 02:49 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Thats applicable in life everywhere, so that's a constant Doug. This is a new guy asking an important investment question so casually setting the bar at One Weekend is outside the norm IMO.

My apologies for derailing this post.
The issue isn't your post, it is the name calling.
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:53 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
My apologies everyone. It's tough to get get point across sometimes on the interweb. I have a great degree of respect for everyone here.

Old September 6th, 2015, 02:55 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Who's sharing the popcorn? I'm out. ------ Follow up post added September 6th, 2015 02:02 PM ------ FYI. I considered my conversion way over my head on many levels.

I was replacing a V8 with a Tdi. I had someone who I thought knew what he was doing complete the job. It still took almost 3 weeks. He still managed to mess things up and Pendy has been trying to undo all the mess.

If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't.

That said, you're job should be more straight forward and much easier. Certainly not 3 weeks.
Old September 6th, 2015, 03:13 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
If it's a defender tdi it's a nuts & bolts swap, no need to weld engine mounts.
Been there & done it.
Old September 6th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I'm doing the swap for clay. We are into it less than 80 hours to include welding repairs to the chassis, conversion to power steering, and a fairly extensive reconditioning of the engine. It's a disco engine that suffered a bit in its previous life.

IIRC One of the posters to this thread did a weekend swap and then had an engine failure.

Doug, your first weekend swap didn't include basic things like a working starter or any exhaust whatsoever plus you had the engine already out.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old September 6th, 2015, 03:49 PM
sandman913
Chris
1985 110 200 Tdi

Once you decide to go diesel, I would go with the 200 or 300 swap. I swapped my 2.5 na, in a similar truck to yours, with a 200tdi and its a huge difference. I was lucky enough to find a matched defender engine/gearbox/tcase. And while I didn't do the swap myself, the 200 is fairly easy to learn/ work on- even though I'm new to diesels. Hardest part is finding a decent engine. Good luck.
Old September 6th, 2015, 03:52 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
I paid a one man shop to swap a 2.25 petrol to 200tdi on a truck I drove in the UK. He did it in a day. And warrantied the engine and work. It is an easy swap if you have a working driving vehicle from the beginning and a working engine to swap.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old September 6th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

I think the biggest hurdle with the 200tdi conversion these days is finding one that's not 90% dead.... if you do decide to go that route buy from a reputable source either on here or direct from the UK.

If you want LS fun... hang in there a while longer until Nick has the kits 100% sorted.... then they'll be a weekend install

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion, tdi