Tdi conversion - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 6th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post

Doug, your first weekend swap didn't include basic things like a working starter or any exhaust whatsoever plus you had the engine already out.
Yep. The roll starting it was a bit of a bitch as the starter died that first weekend. Exhaust had to wait until after the event.

That was the not so epic MAR 2008 @ Oak Ridge that the club spent 60k putting on.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2015, 05:31 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Clay, Dave, UD and others fundamentally agree that the 200 TDI bolts right into the frame mounts and mates to the transmission without any special parts or magic skills.

Along with the 200TDI engine, you'll need a matching transmission and you'll need a TDI radiator and intercooler setup, but they all just bolt in.

The transmission and transfer case you have will need to be changed.
You can get by with your current transmission for a while, but it eventually will need to be changed for an R380 or a stronger rebuilt version of the LT77.
The 1.6 T-case is way to short for a TDI.
I prefer the 1.4, but a 1.22 will work if you have lots of flat roadway.

So the real question is how much do you want to invest and what do you want to use the vehicle for?
Lots of owners think they can do a quick weekend install and find they have an old worn out 200TDI (which may have added to Clay's experience of dragging out the swap).

I've built a few bolt ins, the Isuzu 2.8 Liter TD 4JB1-T fastest of all and yeilds 35 to 38 MPG, Iveco 2.8 Liter TD (same engine as the Land Rover PS-10), Mercedes 3.0 Liter OM617, and Diahatsu 2.8 liter TD. All bolt right in without changing your motor mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
That was the not so epic MAR 2008 @ Oak Ridge that the club spent 60k putting on.
More like wasted 60K blowing nearly the entire ROAV club treasury without any budget or spending limits in the realm of fiscal irresponsibility.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old September 6th, 2015, 06:05 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Well put Rob.

Sorry guys, going back and reading my first post, I used some inappropriate language. I shouldn't make my opinions come across so personal.

It has been my experience a swap is a lot more time consuming than I expected it to be. I've learned a lot, to Dave's credit, along the way so I've got that as a take away. It is true that once you have an engine, trans, TCase and various ancillaries you trust the process is straight forward.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Some people seem to be confusing the different types of TDI swaps. Putting a completely stock Defender 200TDI in place of a 2.5NA or 2.5TD is a completely simple one weekend, one man job with basic hand tools and no special knowledge. It was designed by Land Rover to be just that. It is not much more work than doing a clutch.

Any other types of engine conversion require custom work and the time and effort is very dependent on your experience, skill set and tools.

People considering swap really need to understand these difference as they are substantial.

An LS conversion is a very involved engine conversion that will be a big job for anyone. Thanks to Nick's work, there is a lot less custom work to do, but there still is a lot of work to be done.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 6th, 2015, 06:20 PM
sandman913
Chris
1985 110 200 Tdi

Well said Red.
Old September 6th, 2015, 06:31 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I'm doing a 300tdi into where there was a 3.5 V8. I could not do it all myself because I don't weld. But I would have the project done, easily, by now if I wasn't also doing the bulkhead and dash and refurbish everything from the seat ow forward.

It isn't HARD, it is lots to do, and lots of stops and starts, but not bad.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old September 6th, 2015, 06:32 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
The transmission and transfer case you have will need to be changed.
You can get by with your current transmission for a while, but it eventually will need to be changed for an R380 or a stronger rebuilt version of the LT77. The 1.6 T-case is way to short for a TDI.
I prefer the 1.4, but a 1.22 will work if you have lots of flat roadway.
My suggestion to anyone is to buy the gearbox and transfer case that are attached to the engine... Makes it simple and you get the proper gearing and strength out of the box.

Old September 6th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
My suggestion to anyone is to buy the gearbox and transfer case that are attached to the engine... Makes it simple and you get the proper gearing and strength out of the box.
Seconded..... !

------ Follow up post added September 6th, 2015 04:49 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
An LS conversion is a very involved engine conversion that will be a big job for anyone. Thanks to Nick's work, there is a lot less custom work to do, but there still is a lot of work to be done.
My weekend install estimate is based on there being 200 hours in a day
Old September 7th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Tribe
Pablo Cocito
1987 Tithonus 110

There is a little bit of welding involved in a 200tdi swap to lower the radiator/IC mounts. If it's a disco 200tdi you need to get or make the exhaust downpipe. Relocate a clutch fluid pipe so it don't boil with your exhaust on its new position. Adapt some IC piping , especially a pretty tight elbow on the cold side turbo outlet-to-IC. You have to find a place for the air filter and have the right length of intake hose to the turbo. Those are the things that slowed my swap down until I figured them out. You'll also may want to check/change the clutch slave cylinder. Install a new fuel filter assembly for your tdi and adapt the existing fuel lines to the new IP and filter. Check for any other thing that might need service and will be easier to do before putting the "new" engine in.

Forgot to add: Adapt the radiator hoses and radiator fan if you're going to go with electric fan. Adapt heater hoses.

I still agree it's a pretty straight forward job that should take 3 or 4 days if you never did one before

Good luck
Old September 7th, 2015, 08:39 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Thats applicable in life everywhere, so that's a constant Doug. This is a new guy asking an important investment question so casually setting the bar at One Weekend is outside the norm IMO. My apologies for derailing this post.
Not for nothing but I swapped a 200tdi in pretty much a weekend. Only delays were a few missing parts. And that was on my first rover, first diesel, and first engine swap come to think of it.

Yes I wasn't a newbie with a wrench but it is very possibly a weekend job.
Old September 7th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Bpgt3
Brian
none

Wow! Thanks for all the input here guys.
Guess the overall goal is to increase power and speed a bit and in the end have a more reliable engine and drivetrain.
Having a diesel is not a problem and will certainly get better gas/fuel mileage.

I would say I'm handy but really would be "feeling" my way through the swap. First thing I guess is to locate a 200tdi. Does anyone sell "new" or rebuilt ones with the drivetrain?

Thanks again for all your help. This has been very helpful!
Old September 7th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe View Post
There is a little bit of welding involved in a 200tdi swap to lower the radiator/IC mounts.
Not with a Defender 200TDI swap. It all just drops in.

A 200TDI Disco install is much more involved than what you state if it is LHD.

Old September 7th, 2015, 12:25 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpgt3 View Post
{snip} First thing I guess is to locate a 200tdi. Does anyone sell "new" or rebuilt ones with the drivetrain?
Yes, many on here can point you in the right direction, as well as checking the for sale section. Also, here's one I can speak to from experience: PM "110fender" (Devin) on this site. He may be able to help.

Good luck!
Old September 8th, 2015, 12:41 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
Yes, many on here can point you in the right direction, as well as checking the for sale section. Also, here's one I can speak to from experience: PM "110fender" (Devin) on this site. He may be able to help. Good luck!
in the Vendors Loft section search 200tdi and you'll find Global Land Rovers' recent post. They are supplying kits and have been playing in the space for a number of years.

Like any 20-something engine purchase, there's no substitute for good due diligence.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion, tdi