Tdi block heater...anyone using? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 26th, 2012, 06:48 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tdi block heater...anyone using?

A recent thread got me thinking about a block heater for the Tdi during the winter. I hate the lumpy starts in the cold weather.

So...what is everyone (anyone) using out there? Any suggestions?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2012, 07:06 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I have them in both my 200s and they really help in the am.
I can look up the part # when I get to my computer.
Old November 26th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
I have a 1000W Zerostart heater combined with a Jabsco pump plumbed into the coolant system, both of those plugged into one end of an all-weather extension cord, all of this mounted onto the top of the LH front wheelarch. When I plug the other end of the extension cord in (I use a timer so that it turns on around 6 am), the heater starts up and the pump circulates the warming coolant around the block. An hour or two of that and the engine fires right up, even in -30C weather. Sort of an Eberspacher approach using mains electricity instead of the diesel fuel line. Works a treat, so long as you have an outlet to plug into!

Cheers,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

This freeze plug heater fits the 300tdi exact!! KAT'S FROST PLUG #11441 I have one installed in mine.
Old November 26th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Maximal
Max
none

I've been going back and forth on the idea of a block heater. I don't really have a way to run a lead to my truck right now though because I live at an apartment complex.
Old November 26th, 2012, 09:02 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
This freeze plug heater fits the 300tdi exact!! KAT'S FROST PLUG #11441 I have one installed in mine.
Seems like an easy fit to do...any feedback? Simple install? How well does it work? What temps have you started it at?

Found it here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old November 26th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Seems like an easy fit to do...any feedback? Simple install? How well does it work? What temps have you started it at?

Found it here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Kat's builds a nice unit. Simple install, just punch the center freeze plug off center. This will kind of spin it or tip one side outward, then gently pry it out with a screw driver being careful not to nick the freeze plug hole (block). Be sure to mount it according to the directions, I think, "heater coil up". Works great I have mine on a timer so it's only on about 2 hours before I need to start it. I wrap the extension cord through my drivers door handle as to not forget to unplug it. I use mine when it gets below 20*F, otherwise the glow plugs work fine. I only have my glow plugs on in the winter, in the spring-summer-fall, I pull the fuse to them so they're off.

I'm experimenting with a hotter thermostat too. I "built" a 198*F thermostat and so far it's not running as hot as I'd like. Just put in the VDO Vision gauge and it's running at 175*F when it's open (verified with IR thermometer). I also have a 205*F thermostat I "built" but I want to see how the 198*F works out for now.
Old November 28th, 2012, 05:03 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Has anybody used the Napa ones that are just a heating pad on the oil pan and block?

In Alaska we used those with success along with battery warmers and trickle chargers...
Old November 28th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Has anybody used the Napa ones that are just a heating pad on the oil pan and block?

In Alaska we used those with success along with battery warmers and trickle chargers...
Yes. They heat the oil, which is good for the engine. You don't get any heat into the head, which is what helps starting.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 28th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post

That's all I use. It's probably not needed, but I found a few new in the box at work and decided to use one. If anything it makes it crank a little quicker. I rarely use it since it doesn't get that cold here.
Old November 29th, 2012, 10:07 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

had an oil pan pad heater in the defender which seemed to help cold starting, have a block heater in the Disco (300tdi) now, makes a HUGE difference in cold starting. I may add a oil pan heater to this engine too. My problem seems to be fuel gelling more than starting however. After 5-10 min of running its ok but at first it doesn't really like going far above idle.
Old November 29th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
maybe its just me but I don't even need glows until temps get into the teens. Pretty sure I need injectors because it doesn't start after 1/2 a revolution anymore.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 29th, 2012, 11:09 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
maybe its just me but I don't even need glows until temps get into the teens. Pretty sure I need injectors because it doesn't start after 1/2 a revolution anymore.
Injectors I sell those

As far as a heater I use a in hose one from Napa. I have a factory freeze plug block heater sitting on the passenger floor waiting to be installed.
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old November 29th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Have been using a diesel fired espar since 2006, i think it is D5s. Nice unit so far. Sounds like truck is going to take off when it fires up.
Old December 10th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Has anyone tried wiring a block heater into a dual battery system? maybe with a cutoff override. I know that may sound silly but if youre in a remote area with no direct ac to plug into...so maybe an inverter set up? Just curious whats been done. I've searched and read various threads but nothing really applies.
Old December 10th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
most plugin heaters are in the 1500 watt range which would suck a battery dry in no time. remember when its very cold, your battery can be reduced to 50% capacity at a full charge til it warms up. you'd need a big inverter to do this but it could easily leave you stranded. better to by a little portable gen than take this approach if your remote and dont want to invest in webasto.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old December 10th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

good point.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater, tdi