Tdi air intakes...what did you do? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 19th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Tdi air intakes...what did you do?

Curious what other folks did for their air intake when they converted their NAS V8 to 300Tdi...I take it the choices are putting a hole in the right wing with a 300tdi grill and intake tube but some people seem to have pix of a snorkel on the left side, some a snorkel on the right, others have no snorkel and no right wing grill...how is that set up done?
thanks
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2006, 04:07 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Not quite sure what you mean... but I have mine running out of the drivers side wingtop grill. you don;t really have a choice for the passengerside because the heater is in the way. you could run it through the side like the euro intake vents but that would require cutting another hole. Just run it through the wing top and get the mantec snorkle... its is a nice and bomber setup. If you want some pics PM me.
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:32 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I got a NAS Mantec snorkel and fan it through the drivers side wingtop vent. The price compares favorably with buying all the stock intake parts and cutting the other hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Are you planning on crossing any rivers that are over the hood? If you are, a snorkle would be a good idea. If not, just take a big K&N and stick it on the end of the intake and make a bracket. Works like a charm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6190311.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	5894  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 20th, 2006, 10:48 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

At the risk of reopening a tortuously familiar thread - K&N's aren't known for better filtration so why risk using them on a Tdi? K&N's are for higher flow rates - hardly necessary in a Tdi.

George,

You can run it as you said to the passenger side with a Tdi hole - this is stock on a LHD Tdi. It's the ECU that gets in the way (in 97's). The cost is certainly much less than a Mantec - assuming you don't want a snorkel. If you do then get the Tdi snorkel to fit over the hole - a much cleaner installation than the top mounted driver side job.
Old June 20th, 2006, 02:07 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Run it to the right side using stock Tdi intake parts - then snorkel it...
Attached Images

Old June 20th, 2006, 04:55 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW
Run it to the right side using stock Tdi intake parts - then snorkel it...
Problem with doing that is he has an NAS RH fenmder skin. The Tdi one has a formed depression in it for the Tdi set up. It would look kinda goofy unless you get a Tdi fender skin and then you are into paint and such.

The K&N is a quick set up, or just run the factory air cleaner and let it breather through the engien bay. ECR4 did that for years before I had a chance to make the snorkel I wanted, no issues. Yes, it was breathing air that was not so clean and not as cool, but...

Or get an NAS Mantec style snorkel and cut the bottom off it and swivel it towards the Tdi air cleaner and weld it back on. Then cut the little locator tab off the Tdi air cleaner and rotate the intake so it points at the LH fender and hook up a length of the hose.
Attached Images

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

That was what I suspected...just run the air cleaner in the engine compartment until one figures out what to do! I've seen pix on your ECR conversions where there is no snorkel yet the intake hose goes to the left wing...do you have a custom made intake "horn" of some kind under the left wing grill?...
George
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:12 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkase
I've seen pix on your ECR conversions where there is no snorkel yet the intake hose goes to the left wing...do you have a custom made intake "horn" of some kind under the left wing grill?...
George

???
Nope. We either go with all Tdi parts and change the RH fender skin, or go with the Mantec V8 style intake and modify it as per the photo in the earlier post. We haven't done one that would suck air from the LH fender top opening as it would get full of water or snow. Likely just a picture on the site of something in progress, not a finished product.

Old June 20th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

[QUOTE=artm]At the risk of reopening a tortuously familiar thread - K&N's aren't known for better filtration so why risk using them on a Tdi? K&N's are for higher flow rates - hardly necessary in a Tdi.QUOTE]

Meh,

I read that little report, it stunk of Global Warming. K&N is just fine and a higher flow rate can't hurt.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:49 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

K&N, my take:
Hold a stock air filter up to the sun. You see filter.
Hold a K&N up to the sun, you see daylight. It lets more microns of dirt pass through it. So you have to choose what you want. More air means more dirt (does it matter with that fine a particle? I don't know). More filtration means more restrictive.

I'm not bashing K&Ns, I run them in most of my street performance cars.

Old June 20th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
K&N, my take:
Hold a stock air filter up to the sun. You see filter.
Hold a K&N up to the sun, you see daylight. It lets more microns of dirt pass through it. So you have to choose what you want. More air means more dirt (does it matter with that fine a particle? I don't know). More filtration means more restrictive.

I'm not bashing K&Ns, I run them in most of my street performance cars.

I agree with you, don't get me wrong. What I meant is that there is no proof anywhere that K&N's are bad for a motor. It's the global warming type thought process. The world is getting warmer. We live here, therefore it's our fault. Same thing, the engine blew, it had a K&N, therefor it's the K&N's fault. Pay no attention that the engine had 300k on it and crossed several rivers.

It will be just fine and puts less stress on the turbo, although probably not enough to make any difference. When I am out in the desert, I use a prefilter but only because I have to clean the filter a lot less that way. And, I never have to change it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 20th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

So David, have you looked in your intake tube for dust buildup?
Old June 20th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhybrids
So David, have you looked in your intake tube for dust buildup?
Actually I just did that. I just recharged it. I had the filter on for a year in some of the dustiest conditions out there. We often park in the dry lake bed by superstition and the hammers. When at Super, we always go run the sand dunes and jump it a little. Very fine sand gets everywhere. There was zero dust. Nothing at all in the intake tube. It was even clean on the wipe test. My last Diesel left a thick layer of oil film in there, this one was perfect. I am not worried at all about the filter, or global warming

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:33 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

I agree. I run K&Ns on my dune buggy with a pre-filter and have never found anything in the Webers.

The only real down side I see to K&N is their marketing. All this 1,000,000 mile filter BS gives people the wrong idea. They stick in a K&N and forget about it. They never clean it, they never re-oil it and then the engine WILL suffer. K&Ns advertising leads the average Joe to just put'em in and forget them and that is a way bad thing for your engine. If properly cleaned and oiled when they need to be it can be used as a great filter. If you are not the type to fiddle with your car and re-oil a filter as needed, just run a stock element.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
air intake, tdi