Tdi AC and heater ductwork - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 8th, 2007, 11:00 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Tdi AC and heater ductwork

I have a 110 300 Tdi and had instaledl the standard (?) Euro AC in it. I wasn't present for the installation so need help withthe following ...

To get heat I need to pull down the regular cable to enable the heater blower but no flow goes through the two holes to the feet. I need to also turn on the AC blower and flow comes out the AC vents. Is this the normal setup for this system? I don't recall any of you Tdi guys ever mentioning your system working like mine.

I assumed the heat would work as before, through the two holes below but I actually prefer it this new way as I get more flow and better overall heat. The only glitch: I get very little, constant flow to the demisters but can live with that.

Also, I've always had the familiar problem of little flow from the far left AC vent (as in my '97 D90 NAS) but the other day I lost flow to the first and second vents from the left. I still get great flow from the other two on the right. Blocking those does not change flow from the two lefts - still no flow.

Can someone tell me how the ducting works on this system? A pic/diagram perhaps? I need to determine why no flow in the two left vents.

My '97 D90 NAS has the same looking AC system except that the switches are in the center and the overall length is shorter (better on the legs on the left). However, it does not produce any heat, just AC, through the forward vents. Heat still flows to the two holes below (as you all know).

It sounds like either system can be fitted either way? The other difference is in the AC switch: on the NAS turning on the AC blower always engages the AC, as the temp switch is always on. In the Euro setup the two switches are independent: turning on the AC blower produces non AC air/heat; turning the AC temp switch on produces AC air. Of course, if I had heat on before I need to turn off the stock heater blower with the cable.

The unlimate goal is to get rid of the entire stock setup - heater matrix, blower and cables. I hope to find a small unit with direct ducts to the vents all controlled by electric motors. Sort of like the typical setup in my Corolla: three rotary controls for air temp/blower speed/direction, all three mounted in the center console. Nice! I should also benefit from a more efficient matrix - assuming Toyota is smarter at this then LR!

I may look to retrofit the stock setup by adding electric motors to replace the cables - if such things are available. At the very least, I will route ducting to the actual vents and fit a fllapper to control direction. This will eliminate using the large, inefficient plenum and certainly get better flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2007, 10:44 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Ping...

no Tdi guys out there with AC fitted?
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:53 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Hey Art - I've got AC in my Tdi, but I installed a NAS 97 system. I wasnt aware that the new system fuctioned as you describe, and I'm always surprised to hear about wierd problems because the system is so simple. I think usually it amount to stuck flapper doors.

Sorry, but I really cant offer any advice since my system is totally different. Maybe you should just find an overseas supplier who is willing to send you a 07 or later new defender dash with all the bells and whistles it has a completely new designed set up and the rotary knobs you seek. You'd certainly be the first...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I have that same system brand new. it's the system that RN sells now, although mine came direct from UK. Although my system is installed, I have not wired my system yet, as I'm waiting on a missing evaporator line to complete the system. I looked under my A/C under dash system in the driver footwell area, and the system fully covers the heater outlets under the dash, so I'm exciting to think that the new system was designed to augment the heater flow with the A/C blower dedicated function. I'll get it wired soon, take pics and report back.
Old February 13th, 2007, 11:55 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

No, the underdash unit Mark descibes just has a pass through hole for the heat to use. With a seal that rests against the bottom of the dash.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 13th, 2007, 12:54 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Below is a pic of my system. It does have the two pass through holes but they are unused. I can't tell what's on the top - tha would at least tell me how the air is sourced.

Jim, as I noted, I prefer this setup to my 97 NAS as it blows more air through the front vents. For a Tdi this is a definite plus. I'd also prefer on my 90 but it gets plenty warm as it is.

Mark, Does yours have the two bottom holes? If your is the same as in the pic, I'd suggest moving the switches to the center. They are inconvenient as it is on the far left and could get whacked pretty good climbing on board. I will do it when I can and just cover the hole up with an access plate to get to the wiring.

Pendy, I've seen systems with and without the bottom holes. I assume the ones without have the same setup as mine (blow through the facia vents). Obviously, you can fit the ones with the holes to do the same - mine does it.

The question is: where is the air source for the AC? Is it recirculated or fresh? If fresh, then maybe it's sourced from the right heater stock hole as it's near the AC blower? But if the flap for below is closed then that's no good. If recirculated then how does it source the hot air?

Perhaps there are two blowers on the evap? One for AC and another for heat? It looks like two in the pic but only one motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC_my_sm.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	8229   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC_my2_sm.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	8230  

Old February 13th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
That does look just like mine, although mine came with a LR badge in the center of the dash facia. I'll have to take some pics of mine when I get a chance.
Old February 13th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Ok, I took a look at mine with the illumination of this thread. I now realize that the 2 circular rotating output vents under the dash (next to the speaker cutouts), are actually the pass-through vents for the heater. They had been closed ever since I got the vehicle, since the A/C was not wired. On the drive home from work today, with the heater at full on #2, I open the vents, and low and behold, heat started to come out. There is more to the heater system than the defroster duct...fancy that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, heater, tdi