TDCI/Puma seats, to buy or not to buy? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 20th, 2011, 01:10 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

TDCI/Puma seats, to buy or not to buy?

I was wondering if there was anyone here that has upgraded to these seats. Are they that much better than the older seats, are they worth the money or should I just do the re trims from exmoor or custom fit some other bucket seats like Recaro or Corbeau? I am looking at about 900 bucks shipped for practically brand new factory XS seats from the UK. I like the fact that I will still be able to remove the bottom to get to the battery box. Thanks for any input

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I would love to upgrade front and middle to most recent version. In a few years perhaps. The middle row is very nice!
Old December 20th, 2011, 01:23 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/mod/bravada/index.html

Here's an option from the Peppard book on custom mods!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2011, 03:26 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Putting the 2nd row in the 110. Plan is to re-trim existing front row to match and install new foam and seat heat at the same time.

So far (as seats aren't installed yet) they are heavy as hell and solid. They look a lot like Disco 60/40 (but cooler of course).
Old December 20th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
Putting the 2nd row in the 110. Plan is to re-trim existing front row to match and install new foam and seat heat at the same time.

So far (as seats aren't installed yet) they are heavy as hell and solid. They look a lot like Disco 60/40 (but cooler of course).
It's about having headrests for kids in the middle row as a safety issue that matter to me. otherwise I'd be fine with mine as is.
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:13 AM
Shearpin
Henry Stinson
'73 Series III SWB '84 110 tdi

The rugged guide YouTube channel has an install video for retrofitting the tdci middle seats. I've been watching eBay for a set myself. My daughter has one or two years left in car booster seats - I am looking for a middle seat headrest solution as well.

Henry
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:42 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I have thought that an interesting mod would be to source appropriate sections of metal channel to accomodate the front seat headrests, and have them welded to the frames of the middle row seats. That would allow installation of factory correct headrests. I would do it if the right tubing section could be found. One day I'm going to pull my middle row skins off and examine what would be involved.

on that note, anybody have front and middle row exposed frames they can take pictures of showing the headrest channels and backings?
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:59 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

When I the 110 the previous owner had made a bracket and installed the front seats in the rear. It looked pretty good but was a bit of a hack job. I have heard of guys using Disco rear seats for the second row seats.
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:01 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC22958 View Post
When I the 110 the previous owner had made a bracket and installed the front seats in the rear. It looked pretty good but was a bit of a hack job. I have heard of guys using Disco rear seats for the second row seats.
I think Chris at Badger has done the DII second row seats and RRC second row seats in a 110.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:10 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
the tdci seats are more comfortable, the second row seats look much more comfotable but obstruct visibility considerably

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 21st, 2011, 09:12 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Aaron I believe did a build with disco seats front and back in a 110.

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f...r/MillerTruck/
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:20 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

The plan is to put a Disco 11 second row seat in. I have the plan and the cut marks are made, I just need to go pick up the seat in Sacramento. The big question for me is the front. I dont want to do the Disco seats in the front due to all the major modifications necessary and the fact that I will need to relocate the battery so my choices are Exmoor, easy but I hear it takes forever to get them, the TDCI/Puma seats, simple swap but the most expensive option, or some other sport seat like a Recaro or something but then I will need to fabricate some kind of heavy duty hinge mount so I can still use the seat boxes. The main question I had was for anyone that has the TDCI seats. Are they comfortable enough to justify the extra cash and hassle getting them here from the UK?
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:33 PM
Shearpin
Henry Stinson
'73 Series III SWB '84 110 tdi

Master craft make a bench seat with headrests in custom lengths. This was another option I've been looking into.

Henry
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:52 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

do they fold up? Googling right now
Old December 22nd, 2011, 06:38 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
I personally like the modular front seats from Trakkers(exmoor distributor). I think they're the most comfortable of all the types of standard and drop in aftermarket seats. They make the high backs for the middle row which have the headrest built in. You can put three into your truck if you want for passenger head/neck safety. They don't fold away anymore if you do this though. A removeable headrest would be the best so you don't lose the foldaway function.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The Puma front seats are a little better since the headrest goes up and down and they've got a little more foam in the shoulder area. No change that I can see to the seat base.

The second row seats are a big improvement but still not exactly comfy. They're almost bolt upright and they don't recline. The safety situation with headrests and integrated belts is dramatically better. All said, they're still the best 2nd row seat ever on a Defender. If visibility is hampered, just fold the seat backs down. The fact they tumble properly is huge for me. I wish they were easily removable though.

Old December 22nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
I have thought that an interesting mod would be to source appropriate sections of metal channel to accomodate the front seat headrests, and have them welded to the frames of the middle row seats. That would allow installation of factory correct headrests. I would do it if the right tubing section could be found. One day I'm going to pull my middle row skins off and examine what would be involved.

on that note, anybody have front and middle row exposed frames they can take pictures of showing the headrest channels and backings?
I did this to my middle seat. Have to dig up some pics.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 04:19 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Found some photos. Don't have any of the frame but I welded a cross bar used did something similar to the front seats.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3194527841.png
Views:	822
Size:	686.9 KB
ID:	45221

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1806110700.png
Views:	562
Size:	720.2 KB
ID:	45222
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:04 AM
california
Geoff M
97 D90 SW

Awesome ze
Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:45 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Very nicely done. factory should have done it that way. That's what I'm after.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
seats