TD5 Rear door? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 20th, 2005, 02:26 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
TD5 Rear door?

Anyone in the SW world replaced their rear door yet? Mine is starting to show the tell-tale reaction of bubbling paint by the skin where it meets the frame (hidden by the spare for the moment).

I was think of disassembling it this winter and blasting it, then doing the whole isolate the skin method.

However I've heard the TD5 door is "much better". Anyone know what the difference is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Kev Baldwin
Kevin Baldwin
2.4 Tdci 110 Utilty Wagon

The Td5 door is a one peice construction made of steel and the rear window is set into a rubber. Door trim is a much better solid plastic trim rather than a vinyl covered piece of cardboard. Spare wheel carrier is the same as that fitted to the Discovery 1.
Word of warning though. No one does a 'pattern' Td5 rear door which means you've no option but to go the main dealer route. A friend of mine in the UK converted his and wished he'd never bothered. Final bill for parts and paint ended up at something like $1000!

One method for alleviating the rear door corrosion on the standard door that seems to work is to earth the rear heated screen back to the tub or chassis and not to the door frame. Sames goes for the rear wiper. I picked this up from a guy in Iceland when I asked him how come the paint on his back door was so good. Apparently it's a standard trick with Defenders in Iceland.

Kev
Old October 20th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I got the standard replacement door from RN. RDS did not have the new 1 peice euro doors. From whaty I discussed with George, the Euro door is a painless replacement for the NAS. One peice steel, different corrosion protection process as well. I do not know for sure if the trim peices from the NAS 2 peice will bolt directly into the new door or if there are any other small issues. I am sure that either RN or RDS could elaborate on the mnor differences and what needs to be replaced.

Old door is 300 form RN as of last year. I had mine soda stripped, epoxy primed, and then pro resprayed. The mantec and donut sized stock tires are not cause for future issues.

Norros replaced his re-door as well. Hopefully he'll chime in as well.

EwS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2005, 06:18 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
David, If you want one, shoot me an e mail off line. I might have one for you... they are really nice.
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:30 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
FYI, I bought my 97SW from a guy in Marblehead, MA(small island about an hr north of Boston). He was the original owner and I remember he said Peabody LR called him over a year after he purchased it and asked that he bring it back in for preventative work on the rear door. What they did is welded all the seams shut and to this day there's not any sign of rust. This truck lived two blocks from the ocean and you'd really never know it.
Old October 21st, 2005, 04:13 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
It's not the seams Clay. The paint bubbles on the skin, where the aluminum skin meets the steel frame. It's not rust. It's a metallurgic reaction.

I would assume Peabody painted the door after welding it. Mine hasn't been painted since it was built. Thus, the reaction.

You can look forward to this eventuality.
Old October 21st, 2005, 05:20 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Ah!, I've got a little of that metallurgic reaction in other places. However, if you look inside the rear door where the skin is typically crimped over it's definatley been reworked. It wouldn't surprize me if the dealership fed this guy a bunch of sh@t, cause they also told him that the white defenders see more corrosion becasue there is less pigment in the paint and that the Coniston and Arles colors faired better due to the levels of pigment in the paint.

go figure
Old October 22nd, 2005, 01:28 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40
Ah!, I've got a little of that metallurgic reaction in other places. However, if you look inside the rear door where the skin is typically crimped over it's definatley been reworked. It wouldn't surprize me if the dealership fed this guy a bunch of sh@t, cause they also told him that the white defenders see more corrosion becasue there is less pigment in the paint and that the Coniston and Arles colors faired better due to the levels of pigment in the paint.

go figure

Never heard about pigment and Alpine white before. That has tgo be one of the most ignorant things I have heard a Dealer say. Never mind that the Door is prone to rust to begine with, that the original rust prep at the factory was poor and the sealing isn't ideal on SW. . .
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:56 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
d-90 never forgets...Randy, Matt is getting to mounting this door post paint now. Only 6 years after buying it have I finally prioritized getting it on.

For the td5-on rear interior panel. Does anyone know where I can source a new panel? Do they only come in black?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:01 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand View Post
d-90 never forgets...Randy, Matt is getting to mounting this door post paint now. Only 6 years after buying it have I finally prioritized getting it on.

For the td5-on rear interior panel. Does anyone know where I can source a new panel? Do they only come in black?

Is that your truck at BDR Automotive?

------ Follow up post added April 13th, 2011 12:02 PM ------

They come in gray as wel. Call Justin:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28563
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:37 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Because Horsey is a fool and really doesn't know what he's talking about, I will tell you that the Mud UK panel is not what you are looking for if you have the new TD5 door. The Mud UK door panel is for pre-2002 doors. You'll want to get a genuine door panel, which I believe comes in grey but I will check first before I tell you for certain. Check your research, Horsey.

Edit: After some research, Grey: http://www.expeditionexchange.com/bird07/11.JPG

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:50 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Ha. Wow, get upset about it.
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:52 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Thanks fellas, already on top of that regarding the pre/post 2002.

I should have been more specific that I'm trying to source the post 2002 rear door panel and hardware (netting, handle/bar). I have seen picture of the panel in gray but still haven't confirmed it exists.

Old April 13th, 2011, 01:07 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

As far I know there was gray no net, black with net, and black without net. I had a black with net door that I sold. Honestly the net is useless. If you want gray save your money and get it without a net.

Nice job Brian, I have been going easy on Horsey for at least 24 hours. Thanks for picking up the slack.
Old April 13th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Dave - if you want that grey panel as pictured above, PM me. I have a new panel, pull bar, and trees that are excess to my needs. Mark
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:29 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Ha. Wow, get upset about it.
Not upset, Horsey. Just stop trying to be the first kid to post an answer to every thread and try to post stuff of substance based on experience.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:33 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Brian - try to keep up and pay attention. I was seeing where his truck was getting work done. Then, I followed-up with what I had recently seen.
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:38 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Brian - try to keep up and pay attention. I was seeing where his truck was getting work done. Then, I followed-up with what I had recently seen.
Horsey, how does any of that have to do with you knowing nothing about a TD5 door and posting that the Mud UK panel comes in grey? You're a fool.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:39 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

This makes me laugh.

------ Follow up post added April 13th, 2011 11:42 AM ------

Don't be mad at Horsey for adding no value. If he didn't post on every single thread all of my insults would be wasted on coworkers or even worse I would probably spend my time doing real work. That would be sad.
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:46 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
I pulled the skin off my door, welded in a new bottom channel, and then galvanized the frame. Reassembled the whole thing and repainted. Not very hard to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Door.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	37841  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, rear door, td5