TD5 performance and Intercoolers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2011, 10:48 AM
taylo951
Matt Taylor
1985 D90 TD5

TD5 performance and Intercoolers

So, I've got myself a TD5 D-90, and am looking to get the most out of that engine. Does anyone have experience with tuning a TD5? In particular, I'm wondering what benefits/costs of an upgraded intercooler are. Any opinions on the best way to go ahead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2011, 10:56 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Ze is running a td5 and after driving it I can say it is awesome. I think he got a bunch of stuff from td5alive.com
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:27 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I have a Td5 here in the UK. currenty have on it:

Allisport full width intercooler
Allisport "boost box" (fools the ECU into thinking that the turbo isn't overboosting, which sends it into Limp home mode)
IRB VGT turbo
IRB 190bhp ECU file.

goes like shit in the night.

Drawbacks:

Clutch now slips at max torque (especially with a 1.2:1 transferbox and 255/85 tyres)... new clutch sat in the garage waiting to be fitted)

Mine coughs and splutters at max revs. apparently (according to Ian @ IRB) some MAF's (Mass Air Flow Meters) can't handle the extra whoosh of air going through them with modified turbos and ECU tunes, so he's developed a new boost box that also spems the signal going to the ECU from the MAF. i've just got to pop up to his house to collect it.

in all, a very good engine. strong bottom end. smooth, and the anti-stall is pretty neat.

Plus, whilst driving around, it doesn't smoke like an old tractor (unlike "tweeked" Tdi's), gives 190bhp yet still passes (UK) emmissions tests.

Shout if you need any more info.

FWIW, just adding the intercooler, nothing else, won't give any more power. the intercooler allows the compressed air (From the turbo) to be cooled more rapidly prior to going into the engine.

cooler air is denser than hot air. denser air can have more fuel added to it for more power.

The very minimum you need on a Td5 is a boost box (which is just a couple of resistors really, in a heat proof box), intercooler and an ECU tweek.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2011, 01:04 AM
taylo951
Matt Taylor
1985 D90 TD5

This is all great info...

Anyone have expereince on how reliability is affected by these changes? I don't have a ton of coin, so I'm looking to do incremental upgrades so that I can maximze the drivability while not having to donate plasma to pay the bills.

Is there anywhere in the US to get this stuff, so that I don't have to pay UK fees and crazy shipping? What is all this stuff costing? The TD5alive stuff looks great, but it isn't cheap...
Old February 11th, 2011, 01:55 AM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Matt,

What diesel_jim described is almost exactly what I have on mine. My truck has been pretty reliable with the upgrades.
There's nothing available in the US for the TD5s. Your best bet is contacting Ian at IRB Developments in the UK. He is the best TD5 tuner out there. Very hard to get a hold of but worth the hassle.

Be prepared to spend a ton of coin and might as well start that plasma donation.
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:23 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

[QUOTE=taylo951;265955]This is all great info...

Anyone have expereince on how reliability is affected by these changes? [QUOTE]

Ian said to me, that the 190bhp tune i have is about as far as one can go to keep the car safely within limits.

I explained to him that i'd be off roading, doing road work (day to day driving), going (eventually) across Europe in heat, towing etc etc. and he reckoned on the 190.

Sure, you can go higher, i've heard that he got 240 ish out of one, but at the expense of loads of smoke,overheating if pushed etc etc.

I've caned mine in the (UK) sun, with a 1.2:1 tranny box and 255 tyres (so the gearing is quite "up") and the temp needs hasn't budged, and when it came to the MoT test (our annual vehicle inspection) it passed the emissions test easily.
previously with my 300, i'd have to wind out the fuelling screw a couple of turns to get it through. no big deal granted, but the Td5 is great.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
td5