TD5 Not Running - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 27th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Tano
Gavin Tansey
2002 Defender 90

TD5 Not Running

Guys I'm new to this forum so apologies if I am posting in the wrong place. I have a little issue with my TD5. The jeep was running 100% parked it up in the garage and the next time I went to start it, it was just turning over but wouldn't fire. The fuel pump wasn't kicking in either and the whole temp. maxing out no heater plug light thing happened. So after the usual wiggling around of fuses and relays I checked all earths and ended up tracing the problem back to the main relay.

The relay is fine itself but power is no getting to it. When I manually switch the relay the pump kicks in and the jeep fires up no problem. What could this be? A severed wire? The time I will get to look at the problem is limited so I would like to have an exact idea before I go at it.

Thank you in advance for any and all help,

Gavin

P.S not the most mechanically minded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2015, 12:59 PM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
You have a td5 in a jeep?
Old January 27th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I moved this to its own thread.

You will need to trace the wiring fault to figure out why the main relay is not being powered. You won't get a lot of TD5 owners on here as most people are in the States, where TD5s are not exactly legal. Probably better off asking at one of the UK forums.

And, yes, don't call it a Jeep.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Tano
Gavin Tansey
2002 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Is there an immobilizer (alarm) on it?

-Jeff
No its a farm spec model (No fancy stuff). The jeep is running perfectly when I manually hold the relay, forcing it on. As soon a I let go it dies. Its definitely power not getting to it. But I'm hopeless at wiring and was wondering where the likely spots are?

Thank you
Old January 27th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Tano
Gavin Tansey
2002 Defender 90

I have. I've done a check on...

earths
inertia switch
battery voltage
oil in the wiring loom
fuses
relays

its definitely power not getting to the main relay, just hoping someone would know of a usual 'where to check' spot

apologies if I keep referring to the defender as a jeep, old habits
Old January 27th, 2015, 02:16 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

apologies if I keep referring to the defender as a jeep, old habits[/QUOTE]

like nails on a chalkboard going from an FJ 40 to a defender, you never get used to it
Old January 27th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

There is still an alarm ecu even if it is farm spec as the main ecu communicates with it to start the truck...doubt that is the issue if you are getting to the point you describe in your startup (or failed attempt).

The fuel pump relay is probably bad. Switch it with another relay that looks the same to test. To confirm, these are the relays under the seat and not the relays below the dash.

You can also try to clean the contacts of the relay as they get corroded.

Lastly, try a UK forum if that doesn't work. Landyzone and defender2 are both great.
Old January 27th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Steve UK
Steve
D90 TD5 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tano View Post
The jeep is running perfectly when I manually hold the relay, forcing it on. As soon a I let go it dies.
Thank you
Hi,

Quite common to have a poor connection here, try splaying out the relay connections to get a tighter fit.

Really long time lurker on Defender Source, love the passion everyone has for their D90's

Off to introduce myself

Steve

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions