td5 headlight surrounds ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 21st, 2010, 09:16 PM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

td5 headlight surrounds ?

So I really like the look of the TD5 headlight surrounds. What exactly would I need to do/replace to make them fit on a 97 NAS D90.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2010, 09:25 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I did it to mine. You need to get a set of clear lenses, or two if you want both lights clear, for the top and make your top set work for your bottom set. You will need to put two rivnuts in the currently unused holes, which are different than the current bottom 97 hole, to complete the TD5 look. You may or may not be able to use your existing connectors. I was not able to use my original connectors.

Old December 21st, 2010, 09:33 PM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

So I can swap my top lights to the bottom and get a new set of clears for the top? Got a part number for them ?

As far as the connectors I figure I can just solder and shrink them and eliminate connectors all together.

Now I guess the only thing I am not tracking on is the mounting portion. It looks like they just use two screws, Where do the rivnuts come into play? am I going to need to do some drilling to get them to fit?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2010, 11:15 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Not the best picture I admit but you should be able to see whats what. The top and bottom of the 3 lamp holes are used in a NAS. The top and middle with the TD5 surrounds. NAS has rivnuts in the bottom holes and plastic inserts at the top. Lamps are held in with screws at the top and machine screws at the bottom. ROW lights use screws and the bottom holes are square to accept the plastic insert for the screw. So you would need to add a couple of the plastic fittings to the holes in the middle cut out to mount the lower light.

No holes to cut and all off the shelf parts unless you want to utilize the 'vents' on the TD5 grille between the lights. Although this was there to allow the sound out from the horns that are mounted back there on a TD5 rather than for any airflow function.

HTH

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08724.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	34137  
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:12 AM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

it all makes sense now! A picture truly is worth a thousand words. Thank you!

Now just need a part number for those clear lights.

Jay
Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:16 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter2904 View Post
it all makes sense now! A picture truly is worth a thousand words. Thank you!

Now just need a part number for those clear lights.

Jay

what, normal euro "sidelights"??

either RTC5012 for the early type.... the ones without the moulded plug on the back (just uses 2 lucar connectors on the end of the wire)

or XBD500050 for the later moulded plug type.

Also available, a pre made up flylead with the moulded plug and 6" of cable, to solder/heat shrink onto the earlier wiring looms: STC1188
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:57 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter2904 View Post
As far as the connectors I figure I can just solder and shrink them and eliminate connectors all together.
Thats a really bad idea.
In periodic service of things you have to remove the surround and the lamps, that is why LR put plugs on them. If you hardwire it all then you'll have a blast next time you need to change a headlight.

Td5 surround only have the little grill so that you can hear the horn. People think it is an air intake or something. It isn't.

If you really want this done I'll do it while we have the truck and won't charge you. I rather see it done the way it should be than hard wired.... considering I just spent the better part of today fixing the chaos that was the wiring on the RH side of your bulkhead that hacks screwed up from the accident repair.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

Hey MIke,

Thanks for the advice on the surrounds. My wife basically told me not to touch a damn thing on that truck. This project has me in the dog house Some one wanted a new car when I got home and I might have spent the down payment for it on you making me a great truck :P
Old December 25th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Mine were a direct replacement. Thanks for Td5 surrounds Mike! I got a set of clear and a set of amber lenses. Does anyone know why the clear lenses have shallower housing than the amber ones? I upgraded to LED tower bulbs on my front lenses. The amber ones have ample clearance and the clear lenses are touching the inside of the lens. Now why would Land Rover go and make them different?
Old December 26th, 2010, 08:11 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
. Does anyone know why the clear lenses have shallower housing than the amber ones? I upgraded to LED tower bulbs on my front lenses. The amber ones have ample clearance and the clear lenses are touching the inside of the lens. Now why would Land Rover go and make them different?

Because here in the UK (and the rest of Europe i think), the clear lenses, called "side lights" (as in, these can be illuminated without the headlights on) are only legally allowed to have 5watt bulbs in, so they make the back of the housing shorter to bring the glass bit of the bulb up into the plastic dome "lens".

Turn lights/brake/fog lights are all 21watt, so have the larger glass piece on the bulb.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, td5