td5 fuel tank into a 300tdi chassis - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 4th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Muscat
Mark B
2002 90 wreck

td5 fuel tank into a 300tdi chassis

I'm trying to fit a rear mounted td5 fuel tank (from a 2002 model) into my 300tdi Euro spec chassis (year unknown). Has anyone tried this?

I looks as though I will need to trim the rear x-member so that the tank sits further back, maybe an inch, to get clearance from the diff. It also seems that I will need to fabricate some mountings on the sway-bar brackets to attach the tank retainer/skid guard. As the chassis is galvanised, I would rather not go cutting it about now - does anyone have suggestions?

Are rear mounted 300tdi tanks (assuming such a thing exists) available? How about after-market tanks? How about re-forming the td5 tank with some judicious heat? I've done the usual web and forum search, but this topic doesn't crop up...

Thanks,

Mark

Should have mentioned - it's a 90, not a 110...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2008, 08:14 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Assuming the TD5 tank is like the NAS one - you should check out my pix of mounting a NAS tank in a Tdi chassis (just click on the rebuild link in my sig and scroll through the pix).

It involved cutting off a flange across the rear cross member, removing the sway bar mounts, and adding a couple brackets designed to duplicate the mounts from the NAS chassis. Pendy made the mounts for me, and they work great in a bolt-on application. I used a Slick Rock skid plate to tie it all together, so the plate has a lot more structural strength than the original NAS skid plate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 4th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Muscat
Mark B
2002 90 wreck

Thanks, Jim. Is this the bracket that you modified? If so, how much modification was necessary?

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: bmp x-member mod.bmp (380.7 KB, 162 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2008, 09:55 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yes, I cut it back all the way to the crossmember - this bracket is not present on a NAS chassis.

Here are a some pix, one is the flange as present on the freshly galvanized chassis, another after I cut it off (chassis painted black) and a couple of a NAS chassis missing the flange entirely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_DSCF0022v2.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	12874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_Flange Puzzlesv1.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	12875  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_Franks 024v1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	12876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_Franks 026v1.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	12877  

Old April 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Muscat
Mark B
2002 90 wreck

Thanks Jim, you're a Scholar. Angle grinder it is then. Is Pendy the Pendy on this list? Do you think he would be willing to part with dimensions for the NAS frame attachment brackets?

Thanks again.

Mark
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:22 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Happy to help - Pendy is the Pendy - He'd probaby send you the dimensions if you asked nicely - though I'm sure he'd make you a set if you sent him some $$.

You would be able to infer the dimensions if you had a skid plate, and I think you're going to have to buy a TD5 one anyway - perhaps just go find a local TD5 truck and take measurements off that?

Old April 4th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Muscat
Mark B
2002 90 wreck

Take measurements of another td5 - wish I could! They're like gold dust over here. I'll drop Pendy a pm. Dimensions would suit me best, as by the time I add on shipping to Oman.....

Thanks again.

Mark
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:02 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Not to confuse things, but there is such a thing as a 300 tdi rear tank...... I think it may be the same as a TD5 other than the drop in unit which has just a guage sender and no pump. The mounting for it however is much different than the NAS or V8 tank and the bracket measurements will differ substantially. You will still need to remove the flange Jim pictured, but will need to add brakets that work with the TD5 tank, not the V8. If you have the skid plate / cradle for the TD5 tank (required) you should be able to see how it fits.

I have one in the shop and could take some pics if needed.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, fuel, fuel tank, td5, tdi