Td5 EPA legal? - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:04 AM
searover83
Status: Offline
Jan Ben
'83 110 (FS), '95 Disco
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlantic Hlds, NJ USA
Posts: 4
Hi all,
sorry if this has been discussed before (well, pretty sure it had to be).

What's the rule for repowering a NAS vehicle (oh say.. D90 or Disco) w. a diesel, oh say, TD5?
If not TD5, TDi? What's the legal process? we have bi-annial inspections that use OBD II if available or emissions for pre-OBDII.
not that one can hide the ticking of the TDi..

I have a 1983 110 HT, w. rotted chassis, and galved TD5 chassis sitting in the driveway for many years now, and I gotta get it moved one way or another. or else . I know I can put antique plates on it and not worry abt inspections.. but anyway.. want to know the rules
Anyway, thanks for replies.
JB in NJ
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #82  
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:12 AM
o2batsea's Avatar
o2batsea
Status: Offline
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kensington md
Posts: 6,503
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by racecar View Post
Hi all,
sorry if this has been discussed before (well, pretty sure it had to be).

What's the rule for repowering a NAS vehicle (oh say.. D90) w. a diesel, oh say, TD5?
In particular in NJ?

JB in NJ
#1: Don't let it fall off the hoist onto your foot.
__________________
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:24 AM
o2batsea's Avatar
o2batsea
Status: Offline
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kensington md
Posts: 6,503
Registry
I can't speak to NJ laws, but in Maryland if you change the engine to diesel, you no longer have to do emissions.
Besides, if the trucks are that old, you could probably get historic tags and avoid the whole process entirely.
__________________
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #84  
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:27 AM
searover83
Status: Offline
Jan Ben
'83 110 (FS), '95 Disco
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlantic Hlds, NJ USA
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I can't speak to NJ laws, but in Maryland if you change the engine to diesel, you no longer have to do emissions.
Besides, if the trucks are that old, you could probably get historic tags and avoid the whole process entirely.
really?! and anyone is allowed to repower ? not even claim alternative fuel like veggie burner?
I am suprised. I dont understand why there are not more DII Discos 300tdi running around, with the cracked block problems and people dumping them for parts..

Anyway.. I'll go ask NJ DEP. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Z.G's Avatar
Z.G
Status: Offline
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 4,684
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by racecar View Post
really?! and anyone is allowed to repower ? not even claim alternative fuel like veggie burner?
I am suprised. I dont understand why there are not more DII Discos 300tdi running around, with the cracked block problems and people dumping them for parts..

Anyway.. I'll go ask NJ DEP. Thanks!

I'd have a 300tdi in my D2 if I could get it inspected.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:37 AM
o2batsea's Avatar
o2batsea
Status: Offline
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kensington md
Posts: 6,503
Registry
Quote:
anyone is allowed to repower ?
This is America, not some pussy European craphole where you need to hire a certified professional to wipe your own ass. F yeah you can repower. Put a damn blown 540 in that beeyotch! Then shoot up the old chassis with your mini gun! OO-rah!
__________________
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:35 PM
C391HAT's Avatar
C391HAT
Status: Offline
Zach
86 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 239
Is your 110 titled as a diesel? Pre 1996 diesels don't need to be inspected in NJ. I have never had my truck inspected and never had an issue.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old May 29th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Nomar's Avatar
Nomar
Status: Offline
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Central,Virginia
Posts: 4,291
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
This is America, not some pussy European craphole where you need to hire a certified professional to wipe your own ass. F yeah you can repower. Put a damn blown 540 in that beeyotch! Then shoot up the old chassis with your mini gun! OO-rah!

Best.
Post.
Evah.


.
__________________


Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old May 29th, 2014, 01:33 PM
searover83
Status: Offline
Jan Ben
'83 110 (FS), '95 Disco
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlantic Hlds, NJ USA
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by C391HAT View Post
Is your 110 titled as a diesel? Pre 1996 diesels don't need to be inspected in NJ. I have never had my truck inspected and never had an issue.
well, it's titled as gasoline, but I dont need to inspect it anyway if I get QQ plates.
I was also thinking of building a 2004 Disco that are littering junkyards, with a tdi.
Just wanted to know what the rules are.. especially if originally titled as gasoline.
Didnt see any special provisions if running on alternative fuel (waste cooking oil)
thx.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:04 PM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Offline
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,272
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by racecar View Post
I have a 1983 110 HT, w. rotted chassis, and galved TD5 chassis sitting in the driveway for many years now, and I gotta get it moved one way or another. or else . I know I can put antique plates on it and not worry abt inspections.. but anyway.. want to know the rules Anyway, thanks for replies. JB in NJ
I am in the next town. Haven't seen your truck around. I pop around in an '86 3 door soft top from time to time. There are a few of us in the area if you ever have a question or need a hand or tool.

About the TD5 - I don't have too much on it. I am swapping the 2.5 for a Merc and staying diesel so I am thinking I will be more than fine. If i wanted something more modern I would probably look at a VW Tdi swap.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old May 30th, 2014, 05:06 PM
searover83
Status: Offline
Jan Ben
'83 110 (FS), '95 Disco
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlantic Hlds, NJ USA
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I am in the next town. Haven't seen your truck around. I pop around in an '86 3 door soft top from time to time. There are a few of us in the area if you ever have a question or need a hand or tool.

About the TD5 - I don't have too much on it. I am swapping the 2.5 for a Merc and staying diesel so I am thinking I will be more than fine. If i wanted something more modern I would probably look at a VW Tdi swap.
Hi Don,
my '83 has been out of comission for 5-6 years now, due to rusted chassis. but before I often drove it to the Hook or Seaside for windsurfing.
send me a PM.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old August 22nd, 2017, 11:21 AM
Beaver87's Avatar
Beaver87
Status: Offline
Alistair Davidson
Ex MOD '86 90 12j
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 30
Td5 block in La

So...
Got a td5 block and gearbox sitting at the port of LA about to clear customs...maybe.
When I researched td5s being able to be imported I came out with a positive answer...now this EPA form is worrying me.
Only just now seen this thread.
Before I send in the EPA form could I get some advice?


Thanks
Al
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old August 22nd, 2017, 11:31 AM
Naplm00
Status: Online
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 2,867
It isn't legal, especially in California. But neither are any of the 200tdi or 300tdi or TD5 that are already here.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old August 22nd, 2017, 11:39 AM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,542
Registry
Forget it. I can't believe what people are doing on here and then posting how afraid they are doing things wrong, but complaining about it is pointless I guess. Personally, I find it infuriating to read some of these posts.

Beaver, what SPECIFICALLY on what SPECIFIC FORM is causing your concern?
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old August 22nd, 2017, 01:36 PM
Grover's Avatar
Grover
Status: Offline
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,857
Registry
Drop in a legal 3.9L and sleep peacefully.
__________________
LR3 sidesteps with rocker panels for sale $400


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old August 22nd, 2017, 03:23 PM
Chip's Avatar
Chip
Status: Offline
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,500
I can't imagine any of the diesel swaps linked to in this thread are legal either, but everyone is apparently doing it without consequences and the Td5 is probably cleaner running than all of them, and also the 200/300tdis. So I guess you'll have to decide if you actually care if the EPA cares or not. Some of the laws are really stupid, like being able to import older dirtier vehicles, but not newer cleaner ones, and not being to install a perfectly good used cat that performs better than a new aftermarket one, etc. Many of the laws seem like they're designed to control the public and protect private interests rather than actually protecting our air and health.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old August 22nd, 2017, 03:31 PM
meatblanket's Avatar
meatblanket
Status: Offline
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Golden CO USA
Posts: 582
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver87 View Post
So...
Got a td5 block and gearbox sitting at the port of LA about to clear customs...maybe.
When I researched td5s being able to be imported I came out with a positive answer...now this EPA form is worrying me.
Only just now seen this thread.
Before I send in the EPA form could I get some advice?


Thanks
Al
Don't understand why you need an EPA form at all when what you are importing is a transmission and an engine block.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old August 22nd, 2017, 05:56 PM
CDN38's Avatar
CDN38
Status: Offline
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 954
Registry
Don't forget, there is more than 1 Td5. 10P up to and including 2001. Then 15P in 2002 for Euro 3 antipollution, and a couple other changes to the original design.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old August 28th, 2017, 01:32 AM
Beaver87's Avatar
Beaver87
Status: Offline
Alistair Davidson
Ex MOD '86 90 12j
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
It isn't legal, especially in California. But neither are any of the 200tdi or 300tdi or TD5 that are already here.
Naplm00
Can you put me in touch with any of these guys who have got these engine blocks in?

Thanks. Super appreciative.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old August 28th, 2017, 02:01 AM
Naplm00
Status: Online
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 2,867
Me for example. It doesn't matter what engine it is. You put a helicopter engine in your truck, doesn't matter it's all about the DMV
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
td5

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just your usual 1977 D110 TD5 EndlessEarth4WD Misc. Chit-Chat 1 November 2nd, 2005 10:59 AM
D90 TD5 ECU Chip upgrade? Should I or not? adibitar Defender Technical Discussions 11 September 1st, 2005 01:22 AM
Original 2003 Trek Competion Discovery TD5 Auto, LHD. Trek Jon For Sale - Vehicles 11 August 30th, 2005 06:35 PM
TD5 versus 2.8L PS jaherring Defender Technical Discussions 12 April 21st, 2005 05:49 AM
Maybe FS: 1999 Defender 110 Td5 mlepisto For Sale - Vehicles 3 March 18th, 2004 02:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Copyright