Td5 EPA legal? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 24th, 2014, 09:52 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Oddly I think I'd rather have the LS swap

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2014, 07:32 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I don't think a FOIA request is necessary as all epa certs for my2002 are publically available. On that list, the only 2.5L engine certified is the one in the freelander (gas).

The question then becomes, are any engines allowed for import that "meet EPA" regs, but are not explicitly "certified" by the epa? If so, then there would be precedence, or so my strange brain thinks.
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

The Busch Gardens Expedition vehicles were Td5 Auto but only OK for ultra low speed usage

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2014, 02:22 PM
landrovermanuk
John Lindsay
1986 Land Rover 90, 3.9Efi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post

If he comes back indicating it is indeed approved, td5 engines will be a legal retrofit into 25yr old trucks prior to importation.
Hi,
I was reading a copy of a letter from customs to a vehicle importer. It stated that the vehicle must be original or restored to original condition. It went on to say that a restoration by definition meant returned to original condition. This concluded that the vehicle must be the same specification as it left the factory. It stated that updating the engine, gearbox, axles, body panels or converting from RHD to LHD was not restoration. Any of the above rendered the vehicle unsuitable for import.
I would imagine that you could probably import the engine if that met the regs and retro fit it to a 90/110 already in country...

John

Land Rover owners like it rough and dirty...
Old February 25th, 2014, 02:24 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovermanuk View Post
Hi,
I was reading a copy of a letter from customs to a vehicle importer. It stated that the vehicle must be original or restored to original condition. It went on to say that a restoration by definition meant returned to original condition. This concluded that the vehicle must be the same specification as it left the factory. It stated that updating the engine, gearbox, axles, body panels or converting from RHD to LHD was not restoration. Any of the above rendered the vehicle unsuitable for import.
I would imagine that you could probably import the engine if that met the regs and retro fit it to a 90/110 already in country...

John
I asked the same question as that was my impression as well, but Doug said that is not correct...I really thought that was the case as well (but apparently I was wrong):

Quote:
Where this will play with imports is that IF he comes back indicating it is indeed approved, td5 engines will be a legal retrofit into 25yr old trucks prior to importation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
My understanding is that even if it's a compliant motor, but wasn't the "original configuration" it left the factory with, that it wouldn't fly for import?
Quote:
You understand wrong.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 25th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I think the difference is that is the replacement engine is EPA certified and newer than the vehicle, it is okay.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 25th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I think the difference is that is the replacement engine is EPA certified and newer than the vehicle, it is okay.
Exactly, which is why it is a choice on the entry form. I think the letter referenced above was incorrectly attributed to US Customs where it most likely was from DOT's Import Dept. I deal with three different agencies on a regular basis. US Customs doesn't do opinion letters, they do seizure letters. When I ask for permission/opinion on a questionable vehicle before shipping to the US I ask DOT and EPA, not Customs. Customs role is to enforce EPA and DOT's rules @ the borders and ports of entry. When questioned they defer to those agencies.

DOT is strictly safety. Since these vehicles aren't anywhere close to current standards DOT is adamant that updates (even ones that make a vehcile safer) cannot be made if you are asking for the 25yr exemption, the truck and all associated bits need to be 25 or @ least original spec. Seats, seat belts, window glass codes, different spec doors, alloy wheels, brake and suspension mods are all area's where DOT has taken issue with defenders and can and has denied entry.

DOT has no say over what's under the hood, that is EPA's domain. In short the engine has to be what the truck was built with or an EPA approved engine. It cannot be a 21yr old non- approved engine even through we allow any engine over 21yrs old to be imported by itself.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 25th, 2014, 06:47 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Round up the $500.00 D2's with bad engines I see diesel D2's everyplace if this works out as legal. :-)
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old February 25th, 2014, 06:52 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I finally drove a TD5 and I think its quite the smooth little engine. I would love to have one in a D2.
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I don't think I could ever justify the cost of a 300 tdi swap, but a TD5 would be worth the expense.
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:21 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

So a hypothetical scenerio:

1984 110 on a the original chassis with a 2001 NAS spec v8, would be a legal import?
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post

1984 110 on a the original chassis with a 2001 NAS spec v8, would be a legal import?
yes with all the emissions/evap stuff like charcoal canister, 4 o2 sensor cats, fuel neck, etc in place ie- full obd2 setup installed

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 25th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:

Where would you get a 2001 NAS spec V8 that has been installed in a Defender?
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:21 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

hmmm…doesn't that change it from it's original factory configuration?

------ Follow up post added February 25th, 2014 08:23 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
That's what I thought, hence why asked about a configuration that was not available. If I'm understanding this, it didn't need to be installed a Defender. As long as the engine is a EPA type accepted engine. Right?
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Virginia

Well Gems anyway not so sure about the value in a motronic swap

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 25th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Virginia
While anything is possible with enough time and money, I have yet to see a Defender with a DII motor. Drew and I have talked about putting a DII drivetrain with ABS/TC/HDC in a Defender, but that would be a lot of work, and probably not worth it.
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:43 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

just using it as example, not going to do it or have any ambition to even think about it...
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
hmmm…doesn't that change it from it's original factory configuration?

------ Follow up post added February 25th, 2014 08:23 PM ------

That's what I thought, hence why asked about a configuration that was not available. If I'm understanding this, it didn't need to be installed a Defender. As long as the engine is a EPA type accepted engine. Right?
Engines are approved as a class with all associated systems. See Ron from Epa's remarks above. The limiting factor is would it be worth it to install 2000+ electronics and evap controls in a defender ? No. Issue would of course be who the hell would certify that the job was done correctly in writing for it to pass muster on import. Lets stick to cool diesels.

Always playing devils advocate Frank....

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 25th, 2014, 09:03 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Engines are approved as a class with all associated systems. See Ron from Epa's remarks above. The limiting factor is would it be worth it to install 2000+ electronics and evap controls in a defender ? No. Issue would of course be who the hell would certify that the job was done correctly in writing for it to pass muster on import. Lets stick to cool diesels.

Always playing devils advocate Frank....
somebody's gotta be captain obvious…
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:09 PM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

Quote:
While anything is possible with enough time and money, I have yet to see a Defender with a DII motor. Drew and I have talked about putting a DII drivetrain with ABS/TC/HDC in a Defender, but that would be a lot of work, and probably not worth it.
Maybe a P38, I don't know the bracket differences

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...2&postcount=22

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
td5