TD5 economy - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 29th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Blackdog90
Richard
2004 / 90 CSW TD5

TD5 economy

Hiya,

My 90 TD5 CSW is my only car and has racked up 141k miles. Currently I'm getting 30MPG and would like to improve on this if I can.

I'm a contractor and my latest job involves a commute of 100 miles a day so this equates to £80 per week in diesel. Is there any way I can get better than 30MPG...?

I've contacted ECU chipping services - the cheapest was £225 for a ballpark increase of 10% in fuel economy.

Can this be beaten?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog90 View Post
Hiya,

My 90 TD5 CSW is my only car and has racked up 141k miles. Currently I'm getting 30MPG and would like to improve on this if I can.

I'm a contractor and my latest job involves a commute of 100 miles a day so this equates to £80 per week in diesel. Is there any way I can get better than 30MPG...?

I've contacted ECU chipping services - the cheapest was £225 for a ballpark increase of 10% in fuel economy.

Can this be beaten?

Many thanks
33mpg from a defender based on your larger gallons seems like the pinnacle. Aside from using synthetics in your axles and boxes to reduce drag as much as possible, and making sure you have a spotless air filter @ all times I think you have to be happy with that. What size tyres and what ratio transfer box do you have ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Blackdog90
Richard
2004 / 90 CSW TD5

Thanks for the reply.I kinda thought 33mpg would be the top end

Transfer box is as standard and tyres are General Grabber 235/85/R16

Despite its thirst it's still the best car on the road )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
td5