Td5 dash radio install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 25th, 2015, 10:50 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
OK need a hand here: In crossing the northern deserts of Kenya on "the worst road in Africa", two days of non stop vibration led to my radio/CD literally falling out of my Td5 central dash binnacle. On the diagram here, and looking inside my dash, I can see that the bezel piece #3 broke and needs replacing, but what the heck else is supposed to secure the radio inside the dash? There does not seem to be any other bracket or plate inside the binnacle for that, apart from the #6 bracket. Or does the piece #11 play some role in that? I do not see that #11 piece inside my dash. If it is just #6 how does the radio attach to that to make it secure? Piece #4 is just a storage bin in case no radio is installed. And does anyone know of any aftermarket cage that would fit inside the whole central opening of the binnacle that would allow one to install a radio and a CB together? I want to keep the standard opening, as I need the various buttons above and below it. I could always try to fab something locally but I figure many others would have come up with a solution already ... Cheers, John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-249745474.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	121596  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2015, 11:49 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
There is supposed to be a peg on the back of the radio which sticks through number 6. Without it, your radio is just torquing on your dash fascia, but I guess you just found that out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 26th, 2015, 02:31 AM
Talleyrand
John

Registry
Well, the bottom edge of that #6 bracket is too far away from the back of the radio, so the back of the radio is not supported, it just falls down. Am thinking I could use a second DIN sleeve, reversed and with holes cut to allow speaker wiring through, to support the back by bridging the gap between the radio and the #6 bracket. But it is weird that there is this problem. It would be better to have a shelf of sorts supported by the vertical #5 pieces, with the radio then supported from underneath by that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2015, 06:32 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

What kind of radio? Pic?

I have a stud on the back of my radio that I screwed a #10 well nut onto so that it would rest in the notch on part 6.

When you say DIN sleeve are you talking about the tin metal radio chassis that the old style pull out radios used? That should work, and screw that directly to 6 and notch it for the wires. I'd consider some kind of strap at the leading edge of extra chassis going up towards the dash cap structure. Otherwise depending on how much overlap you have it may just buckle in the middle. You could probably forget about #6 altogether if you had a good strap.
Old May 26th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Talleyrand
John

Registry
Kenwood radio/CD. It is the usual size for a radio. Yeah that is what I was referring to, with the DIN sleeve. You are right, I would have to reinforce it somehow. The whole setup though seems like it is missing something more robust and designed for that purpose and dash.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions