TD5 bulkhead vent seals vs. NAS seals - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 13th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

TD5 bulkhead vent seals vs. NAS seals

Fast question. In doing research on the 110 project, big update coming soon by the way with pics of the custom Disco II rear seat install and much more, I was looking at a rebuild of a TD5 110 and noticed the new style vent seals attach to the bulkhead and the NAS ones are foam and attach to the vent flap. I would love to have the newer style seals. Anyone know if these would fit on a NAS style bulkhead? Are there any differences between the fresh air vents on a TD5 compared to earlier NAS bulkheads?

If they will work any idea where to source them?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2011, 06:08 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
? Old series vent seals attach to the bulkhead, but all defender ones that I've ever seen or know about attach to the underside of the vent flap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 13th, 2011, 06:35 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I bet you were looking at ze's project. He used series seals with his td5 set up but the td5 vent handles weren't strong enough to hold the vents closed with the rubber seals so he went back to foam.

I have the series rubber seals on my 90 and love them. If you have nas handles they work fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Thanks Jim and Barry. Yeah Barry it was Ze's build. I might go for series seals. Thanks for the help.
Old March 14th, 2011, 12:14 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

My 1985 110 has rubber seals mounted to the bulkhead, not the flap.
Old March 14th, 2011, 01:25 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
the td5 vent handles weren't strong enough to hold the vents closed with the rubber seals so he went back to foam.

I have the series rubber seals on my 90 and love them. If you have nas handles they work fine.
Can anyone else confirm this? I have the new style td5 dash going in and was planning to run the series style rubber gaskets. Bulkhead should be back from paint in the next week and do not want to glue them to the nice new paint if they will not work.
Old March 14th, 2011, 01:28 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Only truck I have ever seen them on is Ze's. PM him he will tell you the problem
Old March 14th, 2011, 01:59 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

will do, just wondering if anyone else had the same issue or if maybe Ze had something wrong or defective. Should have looked at Alex's 110 a little better since she has a TD5 bulkhead and the new style dash that ECR just setup.
Old March 14th, 2011, 02:27 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

The Brown 110 has the stock seals that go on the vent flaps.
The only thing we have found with them is that you can not use the factory glue that comes on them. It falls off when it gets hot outside.
You can peel the factory glue off and then use a good adhesive and they work quite well. That is how we install them.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old March 14th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

So Barry I assume yours seal good? I have not had great luck with the stock foam ones on my 1997 d-90 bulkhead. One issue I have is that I am pretty sure my bulkhead is tweaked from a light roll over from the previous owner as the d-side vent opening is a bit ob-longed therefore I have never had good luck with them sealing well on the lip. So I was thinking the series seals would be a better route.

But I am worried about the vents not staying closed with to much pressure.
Old March 14th, 2011, 10:16 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

They work great in my truck. three years now. I can post pics if you want. Never pop open.
Old March 14th, 2011, 10:22 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
1984 110 with rubber seals on the bulkhead here! Unfortunately it doesn't seal properly. I might go back to original foams. I don't know if it's the seals or the flaps but the mix of the two doesn't close properly. I have draft on both side. No biggy in summer but at -30 it's bleeding hell.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
nas, seals, td5, vent seals