td5 3 track throttle pin identification - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 19th, 2013, 12:21 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
td5 3 track throttle pin identification

I picked up a td5 throttle pedal (thanks Derek) which uses potentiometers instead of a linkage. And yes, plural potentiometers - 3 of them.

So far I have only been able to find pin info on the older 2 potentiometer version, and since the pin markings are the same I can test them.

What I still need is the info on the last 3 pins before guessing (I have no idea if it's bad to apply voltage to the wrong pins, but assume it could be) since they can only be one of 5v in, ground, and signal out. Does anyone have this? Here is what I have so far

A ??
B 5V in
C ??
D ground
E ??
F track 1 out
G ground
J 5V in
K track 2 out

So looking for A, C, E please. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2013, 03:09 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Looking at RAVE, (PM me your email and i'll send the electrical manual over... it's about 4mb) the TPS has the following pins:

F - green/white goes to pin 12 ECU
K - grey/white " 36
D & G connected together, yellow/black to ECU in 26
C - red/green to ECU 20
B & J - white/purple connected together to ECU 14

Then the EGR valve takes some data from the TPS:

pin 2 red cable (typical not a letter now) to the EGR ECU pin 25
pin 3 red/black cable to EGR ECU pin 35
pin 1 purple/black to EGR ECU pin 21

Will see if i've got any more docs here with data in.
Old June 20th, 2013, 02:23 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thanks a lot for the docs and info Jamie. Sadly I have seen these before (or excerpts from them) but it's good to go over them again. I am surprised that in all this documentation they don't document pins A and E clearly, and it seems there is some conflicting info.

The tps docs state:

Quote:
With reference to the above graph, at idle (throttle released), track 2 returns a signal of 4.2V to the ECM and track 1 returns a signal of 0.8V. The ECM calculates the sum of these two figures which totals 5.0V.

On Defender models, at wide open throttle, track 2 returns a signal of 0.28V and track 1 returns a signal of 4.7V to the ECM. The ECM calculates the sum of these two figures which totals 5.0V.

The third potentiometer track measures the tolerance of tracks 1 and 2 and provides an improved functionality check of the pedal angle.
Initially I was checking voltage with my led and resistor in the circuit which changed the voltages (duh) but checking without them gives the same track1/track2 voltage. Great, and I could use the pedal as-is.

But the graph and final sentence implies I can use track 3 except it's not clear what pins are what.

Assuming track 3 is the pin labelled C, I have a 50/50 chance of getting ground an 5v right, but I would prefer to get confirmation of what A, C, and E really are before trying this. If it's not hard to pull the connector, would you mind seeing if yours is a 3 track, and if so, let me know what the wire colors are? If you look at the pedal side of the connector with the clip on top, the pins are

F G * J K
A B C D E

So the ones I want to know are the bottom row left, center, and right.

And if you could check of any of those 3 have 5v with the ignition on, that would be awesome.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2013, 02:48 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

OK, (mine is a 3 track), pulled the plug, and looking AT the plug, there are 10 "holes" for the pins (should have taken a pic shouldn't I! D'OH)

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
[6] [7] [8] [9] [10]

3, 6 and 10 are blank.

with ign on, 4, 8 & 9 give 5v,

5 curiously enough, gives 4.4v

couldn't start the engine as i've drained the oil out... i'm mid service!

the 90 is covered in shite, and i'm quite clean at the moment so had to leave it. LOL.

I'll take a pic if it's easier?

------ Follow up post added June 20th, 2013 07:55 PM ------

Curious site here: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...&postcount=347

Look like he's playing with a tractor engine, but using a Td5 TPS, and he's pulled the lid off, so you can see inside.
Old June 20th, 2013, 04:07 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Awesome!

3 has no pin on the throttle so that makes sense, but 6 and 10 are E and A on the throttle so this might explain why they are not documented

8 is C on the throttle so it looks like it gets 5 v, but I am not sure what for is 6 and 10 are blank. But I'll put 5v to it and see.

5 is curious as that is track 2 out but without it connected I am not sure how it's getting the 4.4v, but no worries.

No pic needed, thanks!
Old June 20th, 2013, 04:43 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I fed 5v to 8/c and tried ground to both 6/E and 10/A as well as the opposite and still don't get a signal from the other pin. Not to worry, 2 tracks is all I need.

Thanks again for the info.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
td5