Defender Source Forum banner

TD conversion

Tags
conversion
1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Roverlab 
#1 ·
So I have this customer, really a fine upstanding gentleman in the community, wonderful girlfriend, dog lover, and he is very passionate about his D90 ST. He's interested in converting it to a TD and manual transmission.
My question is, what is out there in the way of complete kits for PS 2.8, 300TDi, or TD5? I wasa going to try a search on here, but wasn't sure how to word it, so I figured I'd go more direct!
Trevor

#3 · (Edited)
As far as I know Steve Parker mainly offer parts for Discovery 200tdi into defender, series and other non standard stuff. Disco 200 is about as cheap as you can go but I doubt you want to go down the path of trying to fit a disco motor to a NAS 90 as that just seems silly.

M&D might be a good place to start. They still offer the 2.8 power stroke kit and I would think this would be the best way to go as you would have a new motor and parts. From what I have heard their kits come with almost everything needed.

http://www.mdengineering.co.uk/

If he wants to go with a 200 or 300 you might keep an eye out on here, landroverexchange or ebay as I see motors / kits from time to time. Might be less hassle than trying to import the motor ;)

George with RDS might be a good person to call as well and Jim AKA Pendy.

#4 · (Edited)
300 Tdi or 2.8 PS are easier to do than Td5.
Td5s are fun, but a wiring pain in the ass.
300 Tdi is as close to a bolt in as you can get as you can use a lot of factory parts.

First thing to check is the state laws where he drives the truck. Some states do not allow diesel conversions. If he has to pass a smog check have him check carefully before he gets into a conversion that he could never get plates for.

#5 ·
First thing to check is the state laws where he drives the truck. Some states do not allow diesel conversions. If he has to pass a smog check have him check carefully before he gets into a conversion that he could never get plates for.
What year ST? If '97, he'll need to also check if the state inspection leverages the OBD II (as a requirement of the test). If it does, then stop there. Buy an older d90.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.