Tappet/lifter tolerances after rebiulding heads - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 17th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Tappet/lifter tolerances after rebiulding heads

I'm surprised nobody has really discussed this issue on this forum besides being detailed on the RPI site. I've searched but to no avail. Do any of you guys actually do this step and then appropriately shim afterward? Is this procedure done due to the head being decked out too much or is it due to varying valve seating height? Any help is appreciated thanks.

Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2007, 04:48 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Yes, we check all the 4.6s after head work and shim as needed.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Yes, we check all the 4.6s after head work and shim as needed.
Hi Mike, I feel like I'm talking to a celebrity. hehe Anyway I just have a few questions if its alright. 1. Is it true that brand new heads that come mounted on new long blocks do not need to have its tappet clearance checked? 2. Is it the decking of the heads to make them flat the culprit for changing the tolerances or is it differen't valve seating measurements or mabye both? Thanks.

Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2007, 08:28 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

In most engines, like GMs and others you can buy various length push rods depending on what you ahve doen to the heads. Sadly the Rover v8/Buick 215 is not a very popular engine so no one makes custom length push rods for the masses. The cure is to use shims under the valve bases to again achieve the correct length for the push rod. If you shave the heads and don't make up that distance in the head gasket then you have to somehow correct for the now shortened distance from point A to point B (push rod length). The shims allow you to do this without the need to get costly custom push rods made. The need for it depends on what was done to the heads. If everything is factory fresh and not rebuilt then you should not need them, but if the heads are rebuilt, or the block deck is shaved, it is worth checking as incorrect push rod length means valves not working the way they were designed to. Its a picky thing to check and most don't do it. It really depends on how correct you want everything set up, and what was done to your block and heads.
Have fun

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions