Tank Guard Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 1st, 2009, 08:53 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Tank Guard Question

I took off my rear tank guard to repaint it and in the process sheared off two bolts in the crossmember. Just to ensure that I really blew it, I then sheared off an EZ-out in the remains of one of the bolts. So I'm pretty much never going to be able to bolt my OEM tank guard to the crossmember using the existing holes. To complicate things even a little further I have a hitch adapter in the crossmember similar to the dixon-bate one in this link:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/di...e/DSC06203.jpg

So my plan was to buy a new tank guard like this one:

http://www.lucky8llc.com/ImageUpload...012Image03.JPG

I would cut out the section for the hitch adapter and use different holes to bolt it to the crossmember.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone have one of these guards and does my above plan sound reasonable?
2. Does this guard replace the OEM guard or cover it?
3. Does it accomodate the sway bar?
4. Does anyone have a different solution to my dilemma?

Thanks,

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Drill out broken bolts and retap to larger size if at all possible - cheapest and easiest solution.
Old August 1st, 2009, 09:47 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

That EZ-out makes it relatively impossible to drill out. I could maybe position a hole-saw around the whole thing and core it out. Then I could tap it for a much larger bolt, but I suspect the hole saw will wander because I can't really use the center bit to keep it on track.

-A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2009, 10:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Just cut off the little squares with a cut off wheel and makes some new ones. Drill and tap the new ones and weld them on.

PITA but not that big of a deal (I screwed up two steering boxes today so I have little simpathy and the truck I did it on has all 4 bolts broken off in it's crossmember).
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:15 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Then cut off a couple bolts and weld them in the holes with the threaded ends pointing down. Then you can slip the rear skid plate over the bolts and lock them in place with appropriate nuts.

Or you can use the hole saw to remove the whole broken bolt with nut (with circular section of crossmember). Weld in a patch for the crossmember. Then drill new holes and weld on nuts.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Equipe Tank Guard

I may get out the hole saw and give it a shot. Maybe if I am careful it won't wander without the center bit.

But does anyone have this Equipe tank guard? I'm interested in it as it seems better than stock and may not involve me hole-sawwing my crossmember. I've removed my NAS bumper and there are a few "extra" tapped holes that I could use instead of the stock ones.

Thanks,

-A
Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Use a 4.5in angle grinder and grind off the plates, what is left in there should be easy to drill/punch out. I would not use a hole saw.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions