Defender Source Forum banner

Tall, thin tires

Tags
tire tires
8K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  headdamage 
#1 ·
I'm getting near the point for a new set of tires. Running 255/85/16 BFG MTRs -- hard tire to beat.

What I'm considering:

Quieter tire, like maybe an AT
33" height
A bit narrower than that 10" width of the MT
Same sidewall strength as the BFG MT

Seems almost impossible to find something that fits these requirments. Anyone have a clue?

I'd also consider a narrower 33" MT.

Doug W.

#2 ·
Thats a hard request.. The 255/86R16 MT's are really hard to beat when running stock susp. or OME no mods.
They are a good off rd, decent on road (for an MT) , good in snow, good in mud, great on hard pack, good clearance,and last a long time. My set have over 35000 with no end in sight yet.

#3 ·
Doug,
I'm going to put the 255/85/r16's on my NAS 110 too. What suspension do you have? seems the perfect tire to me, but wondering if there will be any rubbin on extreme articulation. OEM right now, with mod in future at some point. Why are you looking for thinner than the 255s? I have traditionally been a 265/75/16, and was going to switch to be thinner.

#4 · (Edited)
I just put a set of the new Cooper Discoverer STT in 235/85R16 on my D-90 and I really like the way it drives so far. I had some 255/85R16 BFG M/T's on it and I was getting some rubbing (stock height suspension) and just thought they look a little out of proportion on the short wheelbase rig.

The Coopers are about 32.5" tall - just a bit shorter than the 33" BFG's - I can live with that.

I haven't had a chance to try these off road yet but they are much quieter on pavement than the BFG's and seem to ride softer. I think the ideal tire size for D-90's would be a 245/85R16 but no one makes that size that I've ever seen.
A guy at work runs these tires on his Ford ranger 4WD pickup that he uses for hunting - he previously used BFG Mud t?A's and said the new Coopers clean out and work better in mud.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
This new Cooper STT is a great tire. Think even better than the good old BFG/Michelin MT.
But it's not available in 255/85 R16. Possible: 235/85 or 265/75 R16

Another alternative may be the Cooper ST or ST/C (stronger sidewall,...)

The Cooper ST is the best tire i have ever driven. It's a mix between MT and AT. Available in 235/85, 255/85, 265/75,...

http://www.viermalvier.de/forum_php/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=349876&an=0&page=0#Post349876

Check out that 110 Hardtop / Station hybrid w. Camper roof! The Cooper ST on my 110 are 265/75
http://jeep.cfasp.de/upload/132458.jpg

#6 ·
I also run 235/85R16's with a stock setup. I like the size, but I hate the michelins I have right now. They're about done now anyways, so I'll be getting new ones in the near future.

I was thinking the BFG all-terrain KO's, as I've always had good luck with them. Coopers are another option as well.

-Hans

#7 ·
I had BFG A/T's on my Range Rover Classic - they absolutely sucked in mud - completely useless - but were great tires everywhere else - quiet, smooth and long lasting. Georgia red clay (and MAR mud) brought them to their knees. My favorite tire was the late lamented BFG Trac-Edge - worked great in all conditions on my Range Rover - these new Cooper STT's sort of remind me of those but look a little more aggressive.

#9 ·
Current 255/85/16 rub the eyebrows a bit in front -- I trimmed eyebrows near the sill plate and only occasionally rub. (I have one inch added offset with my current rims.)

The Coopers are an interesting lead. Narrower tires dig down thru soft sand and mud to hard surfaces. Plus I can add more offset. Plan on including internal bead locking inner tires when I do the change so I can run with even lower pressure on the rocks and thereby get the fat footprint when I need it.

Doug W.

#11 ·
I have rubbing in the rear (personal issue, har har har) with my 255/85's and my 2" OME lift and lowered Scorpion rear shock mounts--not much, just at full stuff. No other rubbing. I run the BFG MT's. Right now, my fronts are old stock, my rears are KM's and before these, they were KM's all around. I mention it, because at 28 front, 30 rear tire pressures, my noise was very low. Just my humble take on the noise. My BFG AT's (KO's) on my Disco are pretty quiet, better than stock IMHO. If you are running rocky trails, low mud, I HIGHLY recommend the AT/KO's as not only do they perform well and are quiet, they last a really, really long time. Usually I equate ticky rubber, great traction compound as a very quick wearer, but these held up great. i am on my second pair.

#13 ·
As always, we recommend something we don't do
ourselves... :) , i'm running on 265/75R16 BFG A/T
and i'm very happy, no rubbing, good handling on
and off road, but i know now that 235/85R16 IS THE
SIZE to run with.

#15 ·
My fuel mileage seemed to drop by about 1-2 mpg when I went from the Kelly 235/85R16 AT type tires on 5.5" steel rims to the 255/85R16 BFG M/T's on Discovery steel 7" wheels. I'm hoping to reclaim some of that lost mileage by going back to the 235/85R16 size Coopers on D-90 alloy wheels. (Thanks Ron - they look pretty good on there). Of course the adition of the roof rack may have factored in as well but the Hannibal rack is relatively low drag design (at least its quiet) so I'll fill up tomorrow and see what happens.

I'll probably put the 255/85's on one of my Series trucks -

#16 ·
Thin Tires 255-85-16 Suck on Rock- Great in Mud-Suck in Sand.

Wide Tires 285-75-16 Great on Rock- Suck in Mud- Great on Sand.

Rock and Sand need a big foot print.

Mud needs a narrow foorprint so the tire can bite in.

IMO anyway, I have run them both and more

Cheers

#17 ·
I really can't say there are noise issues with my BFG MT's. Maybe it simply doesn't bother me, but I have found BFG ATs to be every bit as loud. Without a doubt, though, these are the longest lasting tires I have ever owned - period. Truck or car.

The new Defenders come with a 235/85 AT, right? The 255 width causes problems? Is this, perhaps, a truck with a lot of front end weight and/or older springs? Maybe there could also be differences from tire to tire. Not all makes run the exact size stated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.