Taking Glass out of Windshield - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:53 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Taking Glass out of Windshield

Hi everyone. I have a new take off windshield for my restoration but it is not the right color. I need to take the glass out so I can paint the frame. I have researched and found a whole lot of topics on how to refit the glass with the string method. Anyone know how to properly TAKE OUT the glass without breaking it? I have read that we can cut the seal to remove it but I would like to try and save the seal since it is new. Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If you tape it up real good, it's paintable. Much easier off the vehicle!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Hi everyone. I have a new take off windshield for my restoration but it is not the right color. I need to take the glass out so I can paint the frame. I have researched and found a whole lot of topics on how to refit the glass with the string method. Anyone know how to properly TAKE OUT the glass without breaking it? I have read that we can cut the seal to remove it but I would like to try and save the seal since it is new. Thanks in advance.
Call up a local glass repair place and ask them how much to remove the window for you without cutting/damaging the seal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Most windshield shops will want to cut the seal and still will not guarantee that the glass will not beak. If you are careful and take your time in taping the rubber you can paint with the windshield in. Most body shops would just tape and paint.
Old November 11th, 2012, 08:37 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
If you tape it up real good, it's paintable. Much easier off the vehicle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Call up a local glass repair place and ask them how much to remove the window for you without cutting/damaging the seal.
Thanks for all the obvious suggestions I have already considered those options. I would rather not tape if I can avoid it and since I have done everything on this truck myself for the last 3 years, I would like to do this myself too.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old November 11th, 2012, 08:55 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

It can be done but chances are you will break it and the seal is cheap compared to the glass

Just cut the seal
Old November 11th, 2012, 08:58 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
It can be done but chances are you will break it and the seal is cheap compared to the glass

Just cut the seal
I am leaning this way Dave. Just thought maybe someone knew a trick to do it.

Old November 11th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Ok then use tape between the frame and glass carefully cut the seal and allow the glass to drop out enough to separate the two

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:29 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Your preference for genuine v. pattern parts may sway your decision. The old seal on mine was perished. Pattern seals (e.g. Britpart, all makes...) were ~$15-20 while genuine ~$100. Stephen had a NTO windshield, glass, seal and frame for just a bit more. I ended up masking around the seal and painting the frame. Due to reports of poorly fitting pattern windshield seals I wanted a genuine seal.

Edit: a genuine seal on a LR, ha!
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:47 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Your preference for genuine v. pattern parts may sway your decision. The old seal on mine was perished. Pattern seals (e.g. Britpart, all makes...) were ~$15-20 while genuine ~$100. Stephen had a NTO windshield, glass, seal and frame for just a bit more. I ended up masking around the seal and painting the frame. Due to reports of poorly fitting pattern windshield seals I wanted a genuine seal.

Edit: a genuine seal on a LR, ha!
Thanks Paul. Thoughtful insight as always. I bought the windshield from Stephen. It didn't make any sense to spend $150 to replace the cracked glass on my old windshield when I can get a new complete windshield for not much more. This is why I want to save the seal, because it is genuine.

Old November 11th, 2012, 12:12 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
i would have thought a new pattern seal would be better than a genuine seal refitted ... you are likely to cause some damage taking it out no matter how careful you are.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:29 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

If the pattern seal is crap, then it is crap regardless of what might happen with refitting a genuine seal. Hence my decision to mask.
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:56 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I have a pattern seal and it's perfectly fine.
Old November 11th, 2012, 01:21 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I have a pattern seal and it's perfectly fine.
Ok, so who made it? A good alternative to genuine would be welcomed.
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:09 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
Do what the body shops do....push string under the seal, that will raise the lip of the seal off the frame....mask off the seal and paint. The paint will go under the seal, and you won't be able to tell that it wasn't removed.
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:54 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Ok, so who made it? A good alternative to genuine would be welcomed.
Proline from RN
Old November 12th, 2012, 09:53 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by winn442 View Post
Do what the body shops do....push string under the seal, that will raise the lip of the seal off the frame....mask off the seal and paint. The paint will go under the seal, and you won't be able to tell that it wasn't removed.
Thanks!

Old November 13th, 2012, 12:05 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Update here

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
glass