Tailgating the overheating thread by steve - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
94 Arles Blue #1644
Tailgating the overheating thread by steve

Sorry about the overheating retread but after reading all the dialogue exchanged over Steves O/H problem I am a bit overwhelmed as to where to begin. Unlike Steve I have done nothing to my Cooling System since I bought the 1994 D90 3 years ago with 75K miles. I have replaced the oil cooler lines after one of them ruptured so I have been initiated into the brotherhood. It's garage kept and now only has 78.5K miles. So, I don't drive it nearly as much as Steve as in temp extremes or terrain. I'm on the TX Gulf Coast. Here's the facts. It has never run cool but I can live with that given how little it has been driven and I'm learning that running warm is just what Defenders do. Lately, however, the temp guage has been moving quickly to the 3/4 mark on very short trips (10min of in-town driving) Previously it ran well at the 1/2. And now when it goes beyond the 3/4 mark a distinct knocking begins and can be heard coming from the engine while idling or accelerating, etc. As rpm's increase, so does the knocking. I am almost afraid to ask...... does anyone have an idea what is going on? And roughly how much to fix it? I ask because I have always done my own auto repairs but at this stage in my life I don't have the time or patience to tear in to a LR engine and replace a bunch of parts only to find that I didn't replace the one part that was really broken, etc. Anyway, I think yall get the idea. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. Brian.

PS. Something tells me this is beyond what a radiator shop can fix. Will try the Hydrocarbon test and check the Temp differential. Pulled plugs on pass. side and saw nothing really unusual. Will try pull the other four tomorrow and check. I think I heard someone recommend doing that to see if they are fouled. Not really sure what that would tell me.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:34 PM
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat
What is probably happening is that you are getting some pre-ignition due to the extra heat. Definitely something you DON"T want to continue!

Some quick ones. Does it overheat when the truck is at highway speeds? When it is stationary?

First guesses from me will be either a stuck thermostat or a failed fan clutch.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions