Tail lights Failed and I got arrested!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 21st, 2008, 11:32 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Tail lights Failed and I got arrested!!

Well Folks. Saturday night I was driving along to get some ice cream after putting the kids to bed, and I got pulled over because one of my brake lights was not working. After further review apparently I had a warrant for my arrest in relation to a code violation on a construction site so off to Jail I went!! The most dissapointing scoop of ice cream I have had.

Anyhow, after that minor inconvience I spent some time yesterday looking at the brake/tail light of my 95 d-90. I pulled the bulbs and purchased new ones. Replaced the bulbs and quickly noticed the same issue was happening. Took a closer look at the setup and realized the bulb socket piece for the brake/tail light has two brass "springs" that need to hit the connections just right on the bottom of the light bulb. I had to bend and twist those connections to make them actually make contact, and it is working but I am not confident in this repair. When I reconnected the wiring harness I noticed it was shorting on me. I put a zip tie on the harness to squeeze the whole connection together but I am not entirely optimistic this is going to hold up and provide a good long term fix. Anyone experience similar problems and have any other ideas on how to make this more of a secure setup??

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2008, 11:48 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Damn Rick... That sucks. You didn't make it on Cops, did you?

What kind of construction code violation gets you arrested?

Old April 21st, 2008, 11:52 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Bad boyz Bad boyz

I actually lucked out in that I was arrested in the exclusive area of Dallas known as Highland Park. If I had been arrested in Dallas propper I would have probably made it on Cops and also still be in Jail for processing. The construction site violation is that we cut down a couple of trees to build a house and were doing so while we had not been issued a formal building permit. I am working right now to set a court date and fight that it. They sent the warrant notice to my house, not my office and my wife must have thought it was junk mail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2008, 12:49 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
The best fix (IMO) is to get the ECR leds. The factory lights have always had various issues.

-Jeff
X2 That's one of the things on my summer list of things to do. You can rewire the back lights, replace the plastic bulb holder socket thing (they are only like $5-10), try and seal the boots up, and you'll still have problems with them; sometimes even if the truck does not see mud/water. I've given up after about 8 years of messing around with them on my '97...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 21st, 2008, 02:07 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I like the ECR idea

I do like the ECR Idea however that will not really fix my problem unless I go ahead and hard wire the whole thing. My problem is really in the connection "Plug and Play" Harness that comes stock and also comes on the ECR kit. I would rather not hard wire it as that locks me into always running a soldering iron if something goes wrong. I might try and bend the contact points a bit and see if that helps. Thanks.
Old April 21st, 2008, 02:15 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

If your talking about those gray connectors that holds the bulb and on the other side has the harness plug in, you can get new ones from the dealer for under $10. They go bad and if you try to bend those back up a lot of the time they will break... But you can try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:18 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

1. get new stock connectors - forget bending the spades back in place, they will fail.
2. apply plenty of dielectric grease.
3. take some plastic sandwich bags, cut second hole and feed plugs trough them.
4. secure ends with zip ties.
5. for a more permanent fix, apply plenty of silicone sealant between bag and plug.

Unless you're always drowning these in water this solution will work. Plus, ...dirt cheap compared to fancy, shmancy LED stuff!
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:58 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

That is actually a great idea.

I might even suggest something a little more durable than a sandwich bag. How bout a bike tire inner tube. That is probably going to happen tonight at the casa. Cut it and wash out the talcum powder and you are off to the races.
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

The bike tubes rot & crack surprisingly quickly (yet perhaps there are some slight climate differences between Maine and Texas...)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights, tail lights