Tail Lights, again! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 30th, 2006, 01:47 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Tail Lights, again!

Hi guys its been a while since I've had a problem but an old issue just re-surfaced. My tailight, the right side, went out again. I am really starting to get tired of these things. Every time it rains, at least one will get some water in it and go out. Sometimes its a tailight, someytimes a turn signal sometimes the reverse light. Usually drying it out and cleaning up the connections will do the trick. This time however I believe the assembly is shot. New bulbs wont work. What should I replace to get it working again and what can I do to make it so I don't lose a light every week. I know it's a British car but this is rediculous. My 1966 Austin Healey has had fewer electrical problems!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 30th, 2006, 01:53 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustydefender
Hi guys its been a while since I've had a problem but an old issue just re-surfaced. My tailight, the right side, went out again. I am really starting to get tired of these things. Every time it rains, at least one will get some water in it and go out. Sometimes its a tailight, someytimes a turn signal sometimes the reverse light. Usually drying it out and cleaning up the connections will do the trick. This time however I believe the assembly is shot. New bulbs wont work. What should I replace to get it working again and what can I do to make it so I don't lose a light every week. I know it's a British car but this is rediculous. My 1966 Austin Healey has had fewer electrical problems!
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/LED.html
Old September 30th, 2006, 01:58 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Very nice, but they look pricey!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 30th, 2006, 02:05 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Yeah I got tired of the rear lights bonkin' out. Replaced all the light connectors with the water proof kit connectors by RN,
and sleeved them in bicycle tubing and zip ties. Replaced the lenses that appeared slightly cracked at the screw holes, and
apllied clear silicone to the mating surfaces and screw holes. Sleeved the engine bay light relay connectors with bike tubing as well. So far so good thru two torrential rains.
Old September 30th, 2006, 02:14 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

wow i am buying a set of those! i am sick of getting pulled over for non functioning lights, seems like every time i get in the d i need to check the lights before i go anywhere. i sent them an email but does anyone know what they cost??
Old September 30th, 2006, 02:19 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
I got to admit, those look sweet! what is the price?
Old September 30th, 2006, 02:58 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Very nice, but they look pricey!
I'm sure they are costly...but lets do the math on how much you have already spent + time and anguish?

Not sure what the price is...I'm sure Mike from ECR can offer up that info!

I'm just waiting for my lights to go out so I can have an excuse to pick them up!
Old September 30th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx25
I'm sure they are costly...but lets do the math on how much you have already spent + time and anguish?

Not sure what the price is...I'm sure Mike from ECR can offer up that info!

I'm just waiting for my lights to go out so I can have an excuse to pick them up!
FWIW,

I dont think ECR has the square ones of a 94...
Old September 30th, 2006, 03:27 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
FWIW,

I dont think ECR has the square ones of a 94...
Yes they do!
Old September 30th, 2006, 08:15 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

What does the rn kit cost? About 125 right? If those LEDs cost less than 300 I'm in.
Old September 30th, 2006, 09:40 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
What does the rn kit cost? About 125 right? If those LEDs cost less than 300 I'm in.
Please don't quote me on this, I deleted the PM that I got from Mike (ECR), but I want to say that each LED is $38 plus shipping. So if you need a set of 5 it would end up being $190 + shipping.

Ade
Old September 30th, 2006, 10:48 PM
johare
Jay
95 D90 White ST

Funny, i just came up from my garage where I was working on fixing the same thing. I installed the RN boot kit about 4 months ago and the left (driver's) brake light connector housing is completely corroded. So I'm R&R-ing the thing and trying to to better job of waterPROOFING. The LED's may be a really good way to go.
Old October 1st, 2006, 09:12 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Yeeaahhh
Yet another thread on this. My right rear indicator just went - well, the bulb will not sit right (3rd time). I have seen the LEDs and if ECR has LEDs, I am buying a kit from them so the count down: 3. to thank ECR for all the great advise on this site, 2. I need functioning lights 1. I love the way they look, blast it!
If these LED really are a simple switch out - no meters, volt occulators, witch doctors, Druid sacrifice (surely the blood off a thousand knuckles is payment enough)

I have a question on the really sharp PIAA bumper insert lights (quattro ?) that that Brit Top Gear put in his make over (hope he is OK now). I think they are $350 a pr. In my '94 the bumper lights are the indicators. Can I switch out the running lights next to the headlights for that function? Or is there now a resistance issue?
All I need do is hide the payments from the Mrs. and lights up!
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:45 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

LED tail lamp kits for all NAS Defenders 1993 110s and 1994-1997 90s are on the way. Prices are not set yet as we bought in bulk and shipped in bulk this time, so I'm hopng to keep the prices down vs. when we were shipping in the small orders. I do not have prices yet, but everything should be ready to go in less than 2 weeks (I hope).
The clear rev. lamps are really pricey, but we will be offering kits that do not include the clear rev. lamp so you will have a choice.
Sounds like a sales pitch, I know, but I just wanted to answer these folks questions.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 07:51 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Why are the reverse lights so expensive?
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Red and amber are easy and cheap to make, clear ones are a fairly recent development and require a more expensive material.
Old October 4th, 2006, 08:47 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

The clear ones have larger LEDs in them as well. Like Jim said, looks more costly to produce.

Old October 4th, 2006, 03:34 PM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

Will the 94 be round or square?

Will the Kits be round or square for the 94 D-90? How much is costly for the clear???

Thanks,
Larry
Old October 4th, 2006, 03:38 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripp2002
Will the Kits be round or square for the 94 D-90? How much is costly for the clear???

Thanks,
Larry
Mike said he will have square ones if you want to keep the stock look.
Old October 4th, 2006, 03:40 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

The 1993-1994 LED versions are square just like the NAS originals. Images attached of the standard lamp (on the right) and the LED (on the left).

Please be patient on the prices. I do not have all the data yet to calculate a price. As soon as I do it will be posted the ECR site.

Right now there is no option for a clear LED on the 1993-1994 units. The turn and stop tail are sealed LED, but the reverse lamp on those units is a standard bulb. Good news is that keeps the cost down.

As a side note. For those running a 1993 110 or 1994 D90.
We offer all the side marker lights and tail lights and tail light parts thanks to being a US rep for Flexible Lamps. Other parts sources will sell these at high rates or tell you they are NLA, but they are still made and still available. Just FYI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	312.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	6955  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights, tail lights