Defender Source Forum banner

Tail Lights, again!

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  ScottYates 
#1 ·
Hi guys its been a while since I've had a problem but an old issue just re-surfaced. My tailight, the right side, went out again. I am really starting to get tired of these things. Every time it rains, at least one will get some water in it and go out. Sometimes its a tailight, someytimes a turn signal sometimes the reverse light. Usually drying it out and cleaning up the connections will do the trick. This time however I believe the assembly is shot. New bulbs wont work. What should I replace to get it working again and what can I do to make it so I don't lose a light every week. I know it's a British car but this is rediculous. My 1966 Austin Healey has had fewer electrical problems!

#2 ·
rustydefender said:
Hi guys its been a while since I've had a problem but an old issue just re-surfaced. My tailight, the right side, went out again. I am really starting to get tired of these things. Every time it rains, at least one will get some water in it and go out. Sometimes its a tailight, someytimes a turn signal sometimes the reverse light. Usually drying it out and cleaning up the connections will do the trick. This time however I believe the assembly is shot. New bulbs wont work. What should I replace to get it working again and what can I do to make it so I don't lose a light every week. I know it's a British car but this is rediculous. My 1966 Austin Healey has had fewer electrical problems!
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/LED.html

#4 ·
Yeah I got tired of the rear lights bonkin' out. Replaced all the light connectors with the water proof kit connectors by RN,
and sleeved them in bicycle tubing and zip ties. Replaced the lenses that appeared slightly cracked at the screw holes, and
apllied clear silicone to the mating surfaces and screw holes. Sleeved the engine bay light relay connectors with bike tubing as well. So far so good thru two torrential rains.

#7 · (Edited)
rustydefender said:
Very nice, but they look pricey! :)
I'm sure they are costly...but lets do the math on how much you have already spent + time and anguish? ;)

Not sure what the price is...I'm sure Mike from ECR can offer up that info!

I'm just waiting for my lights to go out so I can have an excuse to pick them up!

#11 ·
rustydefender said:
What does the rn kit cost? About 125 right? If those LEDs cost less than 300 I'm in.
Please don't quote me on this, I deleted the PM that I got from Mike (ECR), but I want to say that each LED is $38 plus shipping. So if you need a set of 5 it would end up being $190 + shipping.

Ade

#12 ·
Funny, i just came up from my garage where I was working on fixing the same thing. I installed the RN boot kit about 4 months ago and the left (driver's) brake light connector housing is completely corroded. So I'm R&R-ing the thing and trying to to better job of waterPROOFING. The LED's may be a really good way to go.

#13 ·
Yeeaahhh
Yet another thread on this. My right rear indicator just went - well, the bulb will not sit right (3rd time). I have seen the LEDs and if ECR has LEDs, I am buying a kit from them so the count down: 3. to thank ECR for all the great advise on this site, 2. I need functioning lights 1. I love the way they look, blast it!
If these LED really are a simple switch out - no meters, volt occulators, witch doctors, Druid sacrifice (surely the blood off a thousand knuckles is payment enough)

I have a question on the really sharp PIAA bumper insert lights (quattro ?) that that Brit Top Gear put in his make over (hope he is OK now). I think they are $350 a pr. In my '94 the bumper lights are the indicators. Can I switch out the running lights next to the headlights for that function? Or is there now a resistance issue?
All I need do is hide the payments from the Mrs. and lights up!

#14 ·
LED tail lamp kits for all NAS Defenders 1993 110s and 1994-1997 90s are on the way. Prices are not set yet as we bought in bulk and shipped in bulk this time, so I'm hopng to keep the prices down vs. when we were shipping in the small orders. I do not have prices yet, but everything should be ready to go in less than 2 weeks (I hope).
The clear rev. lamps are really pricey, but we will be offering kits that do not include the clear rev. lamp so you will have a choice.
Sounds like a sales pitch, I know, but I just wanted to answer these folks questions.

#20 · (Edited)
The 1993-1994 LED versions are square just like the NAS originals. Images attached of the standard lamp (on the right) and the LED (on the left).

Please be patient on the prices. I do not have all the data yet to calculate a price. As soon as I do it will be posted the ECR site.

Right now there is no option for a clear LED on the 1993-1994 units. The turn and stop tail are sealed LED, but the reverse lamp on those units is a standard bulb. Good news is that keeps the cost down.

As a side note. For those running a 1993 110 or 1994 D90.
We offer all the side marker lights and tail lights and tail light parts thanks to being a US rep for Flexible Lamps. Other parts sources will sell these at high rates or tell you they are NLA, but they are still made and still available. Just FYI.

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
If you pack the connectors with dielectic grease from any auto parts store they will last a while and you will save yourself some agony. Put a little on all the bulb bases and connectors, and you should be okay. Even if you buy the LED's you should pack a little dielectric grease in the connector fitting, unless you bypass this and hardwire it with no quick disconnect.

#24 · (Edited)
Mike,

Are the other lights you mentioned sealed LEDs? I was only able to find the round on your website. I am thinking of replacing all of the lights on my 94 D90. Any idea when they maybe available?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.