Tail lamp fuse blowing issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 11th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Don Gato
Alberto
1986 ex mod 110

Tail lamp fuse blowing issue

Hey guys anybody in Las Vegas or Colorado that could help me get this wiring issue sorted out. This issue started ever since I replaced to led lamps. The right tail lamp fuse keeps blowing at random times sometimes right away and when it does both tail lamps and license plate lamp go out. Brake lights are fine. This is an 86 ex mod 110 and we are currently traveling around the US. We have not been able to drive at night but we must start doing so going back to Florida to make it back in time. If anyone in the Nevada near Vegas or or Arizona can help us trouble shoot this we'd really appreciate it. It has been extremely frustrating. We are currently in california 20 miles outside of Riverside making our way to Death Valley. Then Las Vegas. Thank you in advance guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2016, 10:30 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Gato View Post
Hey guys anybody in Las Vegas or Colorado that could help me get this wiring issue sorted out. This issue started ever since I replaced to led lamps. The right tail lamp fuse keeps blowing at random times sometimes right away and when it does both tail lamps and license plate lamp go out. Brake lights are fine. This is an 86 ex mod 110 and we are currently traveling around the US. We have not been able to drive at night but we must start doing so going back to Florida to make it back in time. If anyone in the Nevada near Vegas or or Arizona can help us trouble shoot this we'd really appreciate it. It has been extremely frustrating. We are currently in california 20 miles outside of Riverside making our way to Death Valley. Then Las Vegas. Thank you in advance guys
Not close enough to help I'm afraid but A few ideas to get the dialog going on your thread.

Also you say you went to LEDs. Did you cut and join any wires to do that? Go back and double check those connects.

If it's random my thought would be something physical causing it ... Like a chaffed wire touching the frame ... Make sure nothing is exposed. Also make sure the wires if you joined them are suitably insulated. You might have a couple of strands touching under a bundle of insulation.

If you can't figure it out. Best option is try and isolate. Does it do it if the license plate light isn't installed for example? That would suggest and issue around that area.

You could always use a head lamp and duck tape for the license plate.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 12th, 2016, 12:57 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

We did reproduce the failure (lights going out but not the fuse blowing) by moving the bundle of wires at the fuse block. But only once. Could not reproduce it after that.
Gato, is the field fix holding up? At least allowing you to use spade fuses??
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2016, 01:51 PM
Don Gato
Alberto
1986 ex mod 110

It's easier to change and sometimes it will last longer than before. I really think it's the fuse box now. Yesterday headlight wasn't working moved the fuses and it worked again. I believe For some reason that last one must be shorting somehow.
Old September 13th, 2016, 01:52 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

That's a good first place to start. See what you can do to the fuse block
Old September 13th, 2016, 02:09 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Have you tried removing the fuse block from its mount with everything still attached and retesting the lights. It sounds to me like you have an intermittent short somewhere behind it.
Old September 13th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Don Gato
Alberto
1986 ex mod 110

Hey Dave. I haven't. I've looked behind it but never taken it out. Wires on that fuse look like they have a flimsy connection.
Old September 13th, 2016, 02:27 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

I moved the box around and the wires after I first noticed the connection (or lack of) and could not reproduce the short. But I suspected that was the issue. We ran out of time unfortunately so I gave him a patch to get home
Old September 17th, 2016, 06:37 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Gato stopped by the house a few days ago. We fixed a couple of things including shielding the back of the fuse panel. He just texted me that he is still using the same fuse he left here with. Hopefully his problem is solved. I think he is headed towards Moab so there should be plenty of help if it acts up again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
lamp, wing