Tachometer AMR1912 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 14th, 2011, 04:59 PM
reb78
REB
Land Rover 110

Tachometer AMR1912

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me what vehicle the tachometer LR part no. AMR 1912 is supposed to fit. I bought it off of ebay having been told it would fit my 200tdi. It doesnt seem to as it appears to under-read by 1/3, it is not adjustable and the seller isnt being helpful. I wondered what vehicle it is supposed to fit so i can pass it on to someone who can use it! Its a genuine VDO gauge (has 1800Hz written on it and reads to 6000rpm). Any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2011, 05:07 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Hi, Reb-

I'm 99% sure that's the NAS 90 V8 tach, and my impression is reinforced with this sites FAQ section which lists the same info. It may have also come on the UK market V8 Anniversary model, but on that I'd be guessing.

I also looked in my D90-110-130 parts catalog, but it has newer numbers, none of which are AMR1912.

Hope this helps.
Murph

------ Follow up post added January 14th, 2011 05:07 PM ------

http://www.defendersource.com/faq/In...struments.html
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old January 15th, 2011, 05:35 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Funnny you should mention the under-reading by 1/3... look at this thread on LR4x4... at the bottom a chap says that his also under-reads.

Would be more than coincedence that both of you have pullies on your alternators that are too large? (smaller pulley, faster speed, higher reading on the counter?)

AMR1912 doesn't show up in the latest (december 2010) microcat either. velly solly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2011, 07:59 AM
reb78
REB
Land Rover 110

No coinicidence Jim. I know the alternator pulleys are the same size for both posters as that was my post on lr4x4! Noone there seemed to know what it fitted or if it was suitable for my 200tdi defender, so i thought i'd jump over here and check if any of the guys on here used it at all soat least i can pass it on to someone who has the correct vehicle for it.

I did wonder about looking at the size of the alternator pulley - presumably if i decrease the circumference i'll increase revolutions of the alt in relation to that of the engine? Will that have a detrimental effect on the alternator because it is spinning faster?

Thanks for the link HeloBubba - i'd seen that on a search and just wanted to confirm that it was fitted to the NAS V8s. I cant find the part number anywhere in the catalogues now, presumably it has been superceded by something else.
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

This information may be helpful in your determination.

I kept and employ the tach that came with my 1997 NAS to use with my 300tdi conversion (2001). I simply wired it to the alternator that came in the conversion kit. I read properly right away.
Old January 15th, 2011, 03:10 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Reb78..... d'OH! I never looked at the user names!

I also had a rev counter on my old 300, connected to the alternator. well actually, is was connected to my second alt as the "main" one never had the terminal on the back to connect to.

It seemed to show the right revs. tickover was around 700 ish and it looked to be making sence.

Although i've forgotten what the part number of it was. I think it was off of a 50th anniversary 90, you know, the metallic blue/green station wagon with the 4.0 V8 and autobox.

I fancy one on the Td5 now, although that's totally different, connects to the ECU for its signal feed.
Old May 24th, 2011, 05:32 AM
reb78
REB
Land Rover 110

Been a few months, but i thought i'd update on this in case it was useful to anyone.......

I contacted VDO who told me the gauge was not adjustable and recomended i purchase another one from them. They could not confirm what this tacho was meant for although i think we established that above anyway.

However, i digress...... I had given up on getting AMR1912 to read correctly on my 200tdi engine when a new member to lr4x4 entered into the discussion. He took his tacho apart and found that there was an adjuster screw in the bottom of the unit covered by a label. A small clockwise turn on the screw and now mine reads the engine revs accurately. I hadnt investigated any further myself as VDO had said it was not adjustable....thankfully, someone else took a look instead!

Just thought it may be useful if anyone here is using this and needs to adjust it slightly.
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:16 PM
DieselDef
Brad Ingalls
1985 Defender

I hate to sound stupid, but; how can you tell if the tach is accurate? What method do you use to accurately measure the rpm's when the tach being installed is in question? Not having a spark to trigger a timing light, can you install a hall sensor somewhere to trigger a light? I'm in the process of upgrading my alternator and also installing a tach and am obviously wondering how I'll check the accuracy of the new tach.
Old May 24th, 2011, 04:02 PM
reb78
REB
Land Rover 110

You can set it up in one of two ways i think.

1. Strobe light on a petrol 4 cylinder car which you will know the revs for. Then point it at the timing marks on the 4 cylinder diesel, adjust the idle speed to match that of the petrol and then adjust the tacho to the known speed. (i think something like this would work, but am happy to be corrected if i'm wrong).

2. Find someone who has one of these:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...rs-tachometers

Not sure if 1 works. 2 would be easiest, but means finding the tool. Mine is set so that it reads roughly the correct tickover but more importantly it only goes as far as the max no load revs for my tdi so it is not 100% accurate, but close enough for now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac