Tach works off and on - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 18th, 2004, 10:41 AM
'97 Defender 90 SW
Tach works off and on

I noticed a burnt rubber smell yesterday while driving home. Then noticed that the tachometer was not working. Everything else seemed to be fine. I first thought is that the fan belt is loose since I had a pulley wear out about 2months ago. Oh, I also have had some intermittent fan belt screaming. So, when I get home today I plan to investigate but in the meantime does anyone have any ideas as to what else it may be?

Old November 18th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
check the wires on the back of the alt, the tach wire may have come loose, you may want to pick up some spare belts also.

Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Christopher Stanish
1994 defender 90
I had a similar issue with my temp gauge. It turned out to be the plastic covering on the crimp-on wire connector(Sta-Kon) had loosened away from the crimp end, shorting out to the mounting bracket and causing the gauge to read incorrectly. It sounds like maybe your connection has gotten loose, caused arching/heat etc, and might have melted the insulation on the wire?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions