t- case issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 24th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW
t- case issues

I researched a bunch of threads on the site about t-case issues but haven't quite found what i'm lookin for yet. Quick back log.. on my way to rausch creek, driving up a hill in PA and a massive ear piercing squeal erupts out from under the car. Pull over look it over, can't find anything obvious. Start limping to an exit and the noise stops. It is replaced with a whine/grind. Swaped tranny fluid at some gas station and drive it home 200 miles and she didn't break down. Someone suggested to me that it might be the t-case and lo and beyold it is. Shifted the t-case to neutral, and put the car in gear (fifth), crawled underneath and all my noises are coming from the t-case. On the highway it's whinny grinding noise. Fifth gear, idle, it sounds like there is a bolt or screw rattling around in there. Grinding noises, very audible. Since it does this while the car isn't moving, it wouldn't be an output bearing, right? I have not changed the fluid in as long as i can remember. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a chance in hell new fluid is going to fix this. Any ideas what's going on? things to check for? If i drain the fluid and take off the panel on the bottom (forget the name, the one that always leaks..) is there anything i can check, clean, tighten? THanks.

p.s. My brothers defender was parked next to mine. I got in his to drive it home (it's been sitting for a while)
only to find that the e-brake shoes had siezed the to the drum and refused to release despite my rubber malet. so they both aren't running. You can't keep em garaged together.. they think alike..
Land Rovers are by far the best looking 4x4 on the back of a flatbed...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions