t-case input gear question.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:47 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
t-case input gear question....

I have a brand new t-case input gear but it is the older one that is not cross drilled. Can I have it drilled by the local machine shop? WHat size hole is it and where is it located?
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:03 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Randy

I was going to offer to snap a photo of my spare one, then I remembered that it is sealed up inside the case again.
I would suggest looking at the ashcroft site, they have some good pics of them.

you can also fit the oil thrower instead that is the cheap/easy way out and seems to work just fine. Basing that on the fact that the case I just fitted to my truck had one and the splines were perfect. there was a ton of oil back there when I pulled the cover off the first time, and since i forgot to reseal the pto cover before installing the case, the thing was puking out oil at a rather unbelievable rate. (since fixed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
I have a brand new t-case input gear but it is the older one that is not cross drilled. Can I have it drilled by the local machine shop? WHat size hole is it and where is it located?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:56 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
does anyone sell the thrower? I would do that but if I can drill the gear, I will do that too... Easy enough if Its possible.
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:02 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

You might be able to guess the size of the hole and see the location by looking at the picture on Ashcroft's website: http://ashcrofttransmissions.co.uk/part_28.html
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
interesting... so does the gear have 4 holes all together in it??? or just the 2 in the picture?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:29 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

4 holes. (2 all the way through). The gear is hardened so you need to grind a flat spot to get past that and then you can drill it yourself with a drill press.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:36 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I am guessing Rob Dassler would be your best bet for a thrower if you decide to go that route.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:53 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks Matt... do you know what size?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:41 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Id like to hear more about this "oil thrower" I have a very late build 95 but I have never pulled the input gear to check. Is this oil thrower something simple? It seems like the redesigned input came on late 97 LT-230's
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:42 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I have a couple of the oiling plates sitting around if you need one. Good luck drilling the gear...I tried it once and only succeeded in ruining a couple of drillbits. I believe that the gears are hardened after machining....so even if you grind a nice spot to start drilling, you still have to drill through a hardened set of splines on the inside.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:14 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

/Apparently/ the oil throwers bring up another problem... they lubricate the main shaft, yes, but stop oil from getting to the bearing at the end of the inspection plate.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:57 AM
Bill B
Bill
73 S3 109 Tdi, 95 RRC

I just went through this on my 109 LT77 LT230 conversion. Steve Parker have a thrower on their site and Ashcroft say they have them. Called Ashcroft and they said they no longer have any. However they had a rummage around and found one for about 15 quid. It was used. Jim is right, there are tales of the lack of oil to the end bearing. Some people suggest slightly overfilling the case. I guess only time will tell. The LR thrower I got from Ashcroft had two cut outs in it for the oil to get past the plate but can't say how much. Got great service from Ashcroft by the way.
Good luck
Bill B
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:05 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I've only ever drilled one gear....for my own heap. At the time I didn't consider the hardening as an issue and only ground the flat spot for a good spot to start the drill. I did 4 holes from the outside and I don't recall having a big issue getting through the splines. Then again that was 10+ yrs ago and at this point things I did last week are somewhat fuzzy.

I buy new gears now. Not a big fan of the oiling plate. Seems like a bandaid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old January 29th, 2010, 04:46 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I will have the machine shop do it.. What size hole?
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:57 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

err.....not sure without looking at one. I dont think it needs to be very big. 5/16?

Old February 1st, 2010, 12:53 PM
LFORGUE8
Lucas Forgue
2011 Rangie

the one ive got on my bench has 25/64 holes.....ive never even heard of this thrower? anybody have a pic of it........i had bought this gear from ebay and i took forever to come in and i ended up installing my tcase with out it and did over fill the tcase with about 1/2 more quart and havent had a problem....ive got this one for a "spare"
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:32 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

The gear is very hard but you can drill it in a standard drill press set up with a vise and the right drill bit. I've done a couple and I used a 1/4" diamond tipped drill bit which gives you just a little smaller hole than factory. When you come out thru the inner splines there is a chance you will break the bit so have a spare. I followed the same pattern as the factory drilled gear otherwise.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:56 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
photo of the gear

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co...rt_28.html#pa1

some nice photos and write-up of gearboxes including cut-away views. scroll down for pics and description of the oil feed plate

http://www.geoffrey-miller.demon.co....sfer/index.htm

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions