T-case help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 15th, 2011, 03:39 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

T-case help

So, I installed my lift and everything seems to be going to hell. Went for a drive today and at a stop sign going up hill the diff just popped into neutral. I monkeyed around with it and got it back engaged but now as I am shifting when I engage the clutch to shift I get a clunk and when I let off the clutch I get a clunk again. When i get underneath the truck and turn the front shaft back and forth it is noisy(clunky) From the research I have done I am thinking the output bearing? Any other thoughts? Also the larger tires 265/75/16 seem to be sapping my upper end power, A hill I used to be able to take in 5th is now impossible without dropping into 4th. Is that normal for such a minimal increase in size?

Lift is 2". It is an LT77

Thanks for any help, Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2011, 03:57 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

What are the measurement on your lift?
Old October 15th, 2011, 04:50 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
There could be a bunch of things making a clunk , did you remove any of the arms on the suspension? Alot of driveline clunks can come from loose or worn bushings.

Try this for a cheap way to look and listen for clunks,

make sure you are on a safe level surface and put your tranny in first gear, then grab the rear tire while keeping clear of the pinch point under the tire" your feet", Now start rocking the truck back and forth listening for the clunk. Sometimes you have to rock pretty hard but you may get the clunk to show up and determine if its a suspension clunk or drivetrain.

Cheers Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2011, 05:43 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

I didn't remove anything but the suspension when I did the lift. I am pretty sure it is coming from the transfer case because of the sound it made when hand turning the front drive shaft and the fact that it hapens when I engage and disengage the clutch while shifting
Old October 15th, 2011, 06:04 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
I didn't remove anything but the suspension when I did the lift. I am pretty sure it is coming from the transfer case because of the sound it made when hand turning the front drive shaft and the fact that it hapens when I engage and disengage the clutch while shifting
when you say suspension do you mean only coils and shocks?
Old October 15th, 2011, 07:45 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Yes, springs and shocks. The cranked front and rear arms are on the way with bushings and tie-rod ends
Old October 15th, 2011, 08:49 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
how many miles on your truck? Have you replaced any of the bushing ball joints? 265/75 are stock size tires
Old October 15th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
have you checked your drive flanges ? on 25yr old trucks they tend to be shot if they haven't already been replaced. play @ the wheel hubs may transmit back to the tcase since thats where the play is taken up every time you clutch and make a signifigant bang as the play is taken up. The rear axle a frame ball joint also make similar noise as the axle twists when the clutch is let out. Yes larger tires and lift exacerbate these issues.

On the tires size/power loss what does the decal on the back of your tcase say the ratio is ? 1.21 to 1 ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 15th, 2011, 10:43 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

The odometer reads 95000 but who knows with an import. I will take a look at the drive flanges, I am sure they could use replacing along with everything else under this thing. I have new bushings coming along with castor corrected arms front and rear. I am not home but I will check the ratio when I get back. I appreciate all the advice

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions