synthetic winch lines - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:13 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

3/8ths x150ft. Yeah I have to power out till the first layer of wraps comes off then it can be free spooled. Next time I'm going with 125ft. I run a rock dancer hawse that's a frog.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:17 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
The masterpull website conversion page shows 85' max length for the S9000 Superwinch. How did you get 150' spooled in yur drum?. Are the conversion rates that critical?
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:29 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Warn xd9000i. And actualy its 125ft. Not sure why I was thinking 150.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:43 AM
windsurfer
Mark Pilling

I run a 93" Tomcat in winch challenge events in the UK, and after each event remove the plasma ropes and wash them in soapy water, letting them soak for a few hours if the mud is stubborn. Then dry them and hang them in the garage until I get round to putting them back on the truck. Most of the time they are on the drum though. Have had no problems at all with them either front or rear, am running 16mm front and 12mm rear, as long as you check them regularly you should never have a problem with them. I would however advise against using a chaffe guard at the tip as in my experienec they are prone to gathering at jamming in the fairlead as they get a little older.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:14 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I did the 3/8ths also, on Husky superwinch 10k..got 80 feet on it.

I saw this as a negative. However, several have said that the rated line pull (strongest pull) is when the spool is almost empty. If you are wrapping another 70 feet on line the pull strength decreases for your winch.

Solution, get an extension. I am in NC and we don't have a shortage of trees around here either.

(someone please chime in if I am incorrect about the rated line pool)

For those "sqeezing" extra line on, be carefull. There will be times when you will spool at an angle and bunch the line in a corner.....too much will make problems....(you can't always put it back on nice and neat like your driveway)
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:18 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Question

So the obvious questions; Amsteel blue in 3/8 has a srength rating of 18, 500lbs. , in 5/16 it's rated at 12, 300lbs.
The limitations is that in 3/8, only 80' can fit on an average drum. The plus side is that it is time tested proven and lasts.

Masterpull Superline 5/16 is rated at 16,500lbs, and 100' of rope can be spooled on an average drum, 3/8 superline is rated at 26,500 and 85' can be spooled on an average drum. Not time tested, but looks impressive.
Price? comparatively the same give or take $20 more for the Mastepull.

WHICH WOULD YU CHOOSE?
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:39 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Where are figuring the prices??

Rockstomper 3/8"x80' plus hook = $212
Masterpull 3/8"x85' with hook = $312

My only concern with Masterpul is that they do not quote the manufacturer. I would like to see the rope manufacturer's strength and stretch data.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:49 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Where are figuring the prices??

Rockstomper 3/8"x80' plus hook = $212
Masterpull 3/8"x85' with hook = $312

My only concern with Masterpul is that they do not quote the manufacturer. I would like to see the rope manufacturer's strength and stretch data.
Shuld have been more specific: Rockstomp 3/8 X 80' = $212 plus hook 18, 500lbs

OR Masterpull 5/16" X100' = $246 with hook. 16, 500lbs

which would yu choose?
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:30 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

http://www.ruftraks.co.uk/

Lots of good info here if you want to take the time to look through all of it.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:20 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I figured better to go larger...I just ordered 125' of 3/8 with hook from Rockstomper for my 8500 lb Husky to go with the sweet aluminum hawse fairlead I got from Jesse Ware (see the vendors section for the special). According to the chart on their website, all 125' will fit on the drum.
Old October 24th, 2006, 06:50 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Having a huge amount of line is really a drawback in my opinion.

I spend a ridiculous amount of time (it seems) winching (rarely myself) and the things I've learned are:

1. having 50 feet of 3/8 line (Warn 9500) allows useing the winch at very close to full mechanical advantage. They are even available now, pre made for those little Warn RC 9500 winches. This I learned after breaking a line and only having 50ft left. Bummed me out at the time but in retrospect was a really good thing and now is the norm for me.

2.Allows angled pulls with out having too much line bunch up on one side (very bad with synthetics)I've seen more than several winches destroyed by having too much line bunched on one side.

3.If you only have 50 feet of line you are only wrecking 50 feet of line...and when used in severe conditions on a regular basis they do get wrecked. Also 50 feet is much easier to remove and wash (recommended)

4. Use extensions to make up distance. Cheaper and last longer if not on the drum. I use a 80 ft, a 50ft and a 30ft ( the part of the original 80ft line that I cut)

5. Although the alloy fairleads are really nice if you winch in the mud often they seem to get nicked and tear up the line. Also if you winch the thimble into the fairled it will nick and shred the line. Keep an eye on it and have a file handy for touch ups. Or use delrin.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old October 24th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
hey Trevor, did you have to go to a 80' line due to the 3/8 rope?.
Yeah, I had to reduce the line length, but that didn't strike me as a terrible trade-off.

Sorry to respond so slowly....
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:49 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
This thread has helped me a lot. It seems to me that a common sense approach to switching over to synthetic line, is
to use the tried and true, ie; Amsteel blue. At least for a newbie convert to rope. Don't think I need super heat from the drum protection, I don't plan on burning up the winch anyway. As far as diameter, better safe than sorry, so I will plan on 3/8 at 80'. Not crazy about the built in abrasion guards, so I will look into removable ones, if they make it. A self locking winch hook is in order, as I always removed the open hook (don't trust it) when winching and used shackles. Thinking of getting two extensions 25' each or 50'. As far as the fairlead, I'm leaning towards Delrin roller on my superwinch fairlead. I can just see a mud cacked rope sliding on those smooth aluminum hawse type fairleads, leading to nicks and
cuts, that could damage a rope. Somehow the delrin on "rollers" seems safer to me. Now what to do with the big ass steel cable? something creative maybe, I hate to waste stuff.
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:13 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

steel cable = good zip line

Amsteel blue is fine stuff. Haven't noticed that it is any better or worse than anything else.

You need to be winching against the brake allot (how often if at all do you do that?) to melt the line and if you keep that in mind you'll be fine.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old October 26th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Nigel
Ted Constantine

I actually don't even have the winch in my 90 at this point. It is sitting in the corner of the garage. But is have two full size rigs both with m-12000's and 3/8x125' winchline.com trail-line.

There is absolutely no negatives to the synthetic line only positives. No gloves needed, you can throw the stuff an amazing distance up any obstacle and I love the fact that I am not as worried about getting cut in half by a broken line. ALL winchlines fail eventually but synthetic can be fixed on the trail and is stronger than the equivalent wire rope.

Fairleads- i have one with the delrin rollers and one with a viking hawse. I would convert to a hawse and skip the rollers if it were me. The rollers do the job well but hawse is so much lower profile and is fool proof. Actually on the rear of my rock rig we are going to but a winch eventually and there will be no fairlead. I will just have the 1 3/4" .120 dom that makes up the structure of the mount and doubles as a fairlead.

Ted
Old October 27th, 2006, 02:42 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
still mauling stuff over in my head. It's a disease. still not decided on which rope.. esthetics yu know,,, thinking of building mine to spec.While I'm pretty well versed in rope rigging, I'm not in splicing. Any guidances related to winch lines in cyberspace? How bout locking winch hooks, what do yu recommend, and your opinion on Xring stainless shackles? Abrasion guard or no? I think I will stick to delrin. Hard to damage enough to inflence damage on a rope. Dirt particles could damage an aluminum hawse type fairlead in no time, IMO. Convert to rope no problem. I would still wear gloves though. Synths heat up quickly when they slip in the hand. (close calls rappelling
will confirm that..if yu survive[img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:22 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Well not sure about dirt doing anything to the hawse. I've got one and winch in mud and dirt with no damage to the hawse. But go with what ever set up you like It is after all your rig. Good luck.

Jimmy Buffett

Old October 27th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Well, I got my synthetic winch rope from Rockstomer last night. This morning I installed it and the aluminum hawse fairlead I got from Jesse Ware on my Husky 8500. It looks good. The front of the truck sits noticably higher (1/4" or so) with the weight reduction. I got 125' of 3/8" Amsteel blue. It really filled up the drum...a lot. I cut 5' off to practice splicing. I may have to shorten it some more, we'll see. Hopefully this weekend I will get the X-Brake installed that I got from GBR.
Old October 27th, 2006, 05:27 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel
I actually don't even have the winch in my 90 at this point. It is sitting in the corner of the garage. But is have two full size rigs both with m-12000's and 3/8x125' winchline.com trail-line.

There is absolutely no negatives to the synthetic line only positives. No gloves needed, you can throw the stuff an amazing distance up any obstacle and I love the fact that I am not as worried about getting cut in half by a broken line. ALL winchlines fail eventually but synthetic can be fixed on the trail and is stronger than the equivalent wire rope.

Fairleads- i have one with the delrin rollers and one with a viking hawse. I would convert to a hawse and skip the rollers if it were me. The rollers do the job well but hawse is so much lower profile and is fool proof. Actually on the rear of my rock rig we are going to but a winch eventually and there will be no fairlead. I will just have the 1 3/4" .120 dom that makes up the structure of the mount and doubles as a fairlead.

Ted

Low abrasion resistance compared to steel and a loss of strength above 150*F and melting point at 284*F could be negatives. If you winch out with a planetary gear driven winch it doesn't take long to get real hot at the drum.

I use synthetic and probably always will. It does have it's downside just like any other material.
Old October 28th, 2006, 03:25 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
'been checking amsteel blue prices and noticed numerous vendors selling Amsteel blue in OD, green, orange, and yellow.
While studying the Samson website, they only list Amsteel blue in blue. Since the "blue" in Amsteel is the result of the Urethane coating, and Samson does not list any other color, whats the deal?.

Checking out Tech 12 specs on the Samson site, the specs look pretty good as far as less slip, high abrasion resist', and
high heat resist'. Anyone using it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch