Synthetic winch lines - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 7th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Synthetic winch lines

I am in the market for a synthetic winch line and have a couple questions. First my winch is the Warn xd9000i mounted on a ARB bumper. I will be getting new roller fairleads. Should I be looking for a 100' 3/8 or a 5/16 125'? Will the trail lines work ok with my warn or do I need to look into these fire proof lines that are being sold? Is this safety thimble option a good idea? Any other info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2006, 01:44 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Just wondering why you are going with a roller fairlead insted of the hawes fairlead. I know there are some roller fairleads for synthetic lines but why not go with a hawes? As to the size question? Go big.
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

do you know of a hawes fairhead that will work on a ARB bumber?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2006, 11:31 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender13
do you know of a hawes fairhead that will work on a ARB bumber?
I didn't know you are stuck with a roller if you bought a ARB. Aside from having one made which is what I did, then I guess you are limited to a roller. What is differant with the ARB that prevents you from using a hawes?
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

I'd go with the Dynaflex 3/8 "Trail" line. It's rated to 925F for use on winches rated up to 15000 lbs. Take a look HERE.

I don't see why you can't use a hawse fairlead on the ARB bumper. I like the RBC Composite fairlead. You can see it HERE. Some might think it's more bling. I think it's more subtle.

Steel cables will cut hawse fairleads, hence the need for a roller. With synthetic line that is not the case. Save yourself some approach angle and go with the hawse. IMHO.

As for the safety thimble, I've never seen one in use, but if keep your line attached to a recovery point it seems as though it wouldn't lay as flat. I guess it adds another layer of idiot proofing to the system, but I think it's not necessary if you practice proper technique and don't put your finger through the thimble as you spool in.
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:46 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

The ARB's are specially set up to work with the Warn roller fairlead. If you switch to a hawes it won't save you anything on approach angle.

I guess I'm "out of the loop", but what's the big infatuation these days with synthetic ropes? What's wrong with steel? I keep reading worries about the synthetics melting on hot winch drums, so why bother? Or am I just an old-fashioned old fart that just doesn't "get it"?
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:18 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryO

I guess I'm "out of the loop", but what's the big infatuation these days with synthetic ropes? What's wrong with steel? I keep reading worries about the synthetics melting on hot winch drums, so why bother? Or am I just an old-fashioned old fart that just doesn't "get it"?
Sythetic is stronger than steel or just as strong. It is easier to handle and dont have to wory about kinks or those pesky barbs that old cable lines can develop. If it breaks under a load it wont cut you in half like a steel cable can, supposedly it loses it's stored power and will drop to the ground sooner. I will still give my synthetic line a lot of space during winching. Synth is lighter, less weight up front. I have heard very few incedents of syth line melting on the drum, actualy I have never heard of it actualy happening just lots of folks sayong it could, not an issue onmy winch anyway, PTO

Cons: Abrasion and the possibility of it cutting but then again you can trail repair a synthetic line. Cost. Possible UV damage?

I like mine and will never go back to cable.
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Synthetic ropes are much safer to use than steel. Steel stretches under load and stores a lot of energy. When a steel rope breaks, it can whip back toward the vehicle (or the anchor point) and cause damage to the vehicle or injury to bystanders. That is why it is advisable to use a damper, or at least a jacket or blanket, thrown over the cable when winching. If the cable snaps, the damper will slow it down. Synthetic line can break too, but it tends to just drop to the ground. After it has broken, it can be field-repaired just by tying a knot. A knotted synthetic winch line is not something you'd want to live with for long, as the knot is a weak point that only has a fraction of the strength of an un-knotted line (judiciously knotted, up to 75%).

Also, with synthetic line, kinking is much less of an issue, and one doesn't have to be so concerned about the line crossing on the drum, etc.

Finally, it is much less fussy to carry a spare winch rope if it is synthetic.

Of course, synthetic line is more expensive, and can degrade over time if exposed to too much sunlight. Typically they are fitted with a special sheath at the end, long enough so that the last layer on the drum is covered and shielded from sunlight.

Did I leave anything out?
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spalding
Synthetic ropes are much safer to use than steel. Steel stretches under load and stores a lot of energy.
Just to clear this up as the internet seems to mess with the facts.

Synthetic rope actually stretches a little more than steel of the same size. The MAIN reason that it is safer is simply becuase it is lighter. The much lower mass when released has much less energy to travel and damage things.

Understanding that is important, because it is vitally important that if something breaks it needs to be the rope. If an attachment point breaks, the heavy rigging can still be projected at speed.

On the other question, definitely get 3/8" line. A 9000 lbs winch should never have 5/16" line on it, be the line steel or synthetic. 5/16" steel or synthetic is not strong enough for a 9000 lb pull.

The problem with rollers is that the sythetic line can get damaged when pulled across the joint between the side and main rollers.
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:05 AM
SYoung
Steve
94 D-90 #8
D-90 Source Vendor

Take a look at the line I have on dap-inc.com - I spec'd it out with the manufacturer and I think it's a nice setup. We did the first 25 feet in heat resistant technora and amsteel blue for the rest- then a thimble instead of a hook. I've used it a lot since we started carrying it and I'll never go back to steel. The best part was when I had to get a winch line across a fairly wide ditch/creek- just unspool the line and throw the thimble to the guy 30 feet away.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch