Synthetic oil to dino oil. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 18th, 2011, 12:31 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Synthetic oil to dino oil.

I have been using synthetic oil in my 200 tdi for about a year and it has gotten so expensive I am thinking of going back to Dino oil. Is it ok to do this? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2011, 08:35 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

There are so many misconceptions on the oil issue, especially syn vs dino.
In reality the advantages of synthetic oil in a motor are that it has a better heat transfer ability and it can be produced in a wider range of viscosities.
Other than that, there really is no great difference.
Both Syn oil and dino use the same additives which break down over time and they both get contaminated. That's why oil changes are done.
Use whatever you like, just change your oil and filter on schedule.
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
....and it has gotten so expensive I am thinking of going back to Dino oil.....
How often are you changing the oil? The 200TDI manual says 5000 km, which based on oil analysis of my engine is way more often than needed with the oil I use. 10000 km is a nice conservative interval.

------ Follow up post added June 18th, 2011 01:06 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Use whatever you like....
That is not the complete truth. Synthetics do reduce wear, but the difference is not a deal breaker for the average user and the amount of miles put on an engine.

You must also make sure you are using a suitable oil for the engine and climate. You would not want to use an oil designed for a gasoline engine in your diesel and some grades are not suitable for some temperature conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2011, 04:10 PM
kevkon
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
How often are you changing the oil? The 200TDI manual says 5000 km, which based on oil analysis of my engine is way more often than needed with the oil I use. 10000 km is a nice conservative interval.

That is not the complete truth. Synthetics do reduce wear, but the difference is not a deal breaker for the average user and the amount of miles put on an engine.

You must also make sure you are using a suitable oil for the engine and climate. You would not want to use an oil designed for a gasoline engine in your diesel and some grades are not suitable for some temperature conditions.
I would suggest that sevice intervals should be based on individual requirements and operating use rather than an arbitrary mileage figure.
Synthetic oil in itself, does not reduce wear ( unless you believe what synthetic oil makers claim). There are additives put in for that purpose. What synthetic oil does do is decrease oil sludge and build up and provide a more controlled viscosity due to a more uniform molecular structure.
That's why I said " use whatever you like" in regard to syn vs min.
Old June 18th, 2011, 04:28 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Really the price is not that big a deal, I was just shocked yesterday when I went to buy oil and the Syn. diesel oil was $27 per gallon! maybe it has been that much forever and I just forgot. It is just $20 more, but I don't know if it is worth it or not.
Old June 18th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Synthetic oil in itself, does not reduce wear ( unless you believe what synthetic oil makers claim).
Oil analysis shows reduced wear metal when using a comparable regular oil to synthetic such as Rotella versus Rotella T. It is not a huge difference, but it is a difference.
Old June 18th, 2011, 04:49 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post

Haynes Manual says 6000 miles between oil changes. I usually aim for somewhere in the 5 -6000 mile bracket.
Old June 18th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Haynes Manual says 6000 miles between oil changes. I usually aim for somewhere in the 5 -6000 mile bracket.
The 5000 km, 3000 miles is from the factory workshop manual.
Old June 19th, 2011, 09:18 AM
kevkon
kevin

Personally, I would go by hours of use on a Defender unless it is not used offroad.
It doesn't hurt to change the oil and filter more often than the mfg recommendations.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions