Synthetic oil in an older 200 tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 31st, 2012, 02:01 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Synthetic oil in an older 200 tdi

Most everyone says to use synthetic oil in their engines but I am hearing it is risky if you have an older engine because it will make it's way out of some of the older seals. What are the thoughts on this, is it worth the extra leaks for the better oil?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2012, 06:02 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
How can something of better quality be harmful to an engine? Non-sense if you ask me. My 200tdi never been rebuilt and I dunno the real mileage on it but, I assure you that the better the oil the longer it will last and synthetic oil makes the viscosity stay within the manufacturer recommendations whether hot or cold. What more can an 200tdi ask for?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Old July 31st, 2012, 07:00 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If it ain't broke don't fix it. More frequent dino oil changes are just as good for an engine

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2012, 08:41 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

I use rotella T6 full syn in my rebuilt 200TDI. I do see some consumption but overall it provides great lubrication.

I recently got a oil analysis done and it came through awesome. My 200tdi also gets a real world 30 MPG with a 1.2 T case and tall tires in my unladen 110. After oil changes the first tank will always get 31MPG.

Im a true believer in syn oils. But the fact is that if you do make a change from a long time dino oil engine that did not see frequent changes you may loosen up some deposits that can lead to a leak.

see this recent thread : http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=38964
Old July 31st, 2012, 12:51 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
Most everyone says to use synthetic oil in their engines but I am hearing it is risky if you have an older engine because it will make it's way out of some of the older seals. What are the thoughts on this, is it worth the extra leaks for the better oil?
I run dino Rotella and my truck leaks anyways. I don't think switching to synthetic is going to cause worse leaks. I've never seen it happen on my other cars either.

IMHO, what you do want to avoid is running water-thin 0W40 or 0W20 synthetic oil. I've blown a 4AGE engine running 0W20. The bearing clearances and tolerances in an engine have to be designed to run that stuff.

The real danger of running ultra- thin oils isn't leaks in the seals. It's not being able to support the oil pressure required in the bearings. Bad juju for sure.
Old July 31st, 2012, 01:48 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

I know what the book says but from what I am reading 20/40 is the way to go, or should you use something different? I am guessing my engine has a decent amount of miles on it
Old July 31st, 2012, 02:16 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
I know what the book says but from what I am reading 20/40 is the way to go, or should you use something different? I am guessing my engine has a decent amount of miles on it
I use 15W40. Others have used this oil with good results. It gets thick in the Virginia winters, though. The engine starts and runs fine, however. Synthetic probably has better low temp performance at the same grade.

I'm not familiar with 20W40.
Old March 14th, 2014, 05:29 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am going to revive this thread as I am wondering what oil to use in a used/resealed re belted(timing) 200tdi?
Old March 14th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Rotella. The synthetic if you feel like splurging

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 14th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
A 200TDI is not an "old" engine...... Synthetic is a good idea for it....

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 14th, 2014, 05:51 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks guys. I am getting close.
Old March 14th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
If it ain't broke don't fix it. More frequent dino oil changes are just as good for an engine
That is not actually true. You will get higher wear rate on a modern engine. Oil analysis shows this. On old school engines, it did not matter as the wear rates and oil contamination rates were high regardless. Frequent changes were needed and the type of oil used had not much impact.

The 200TDI is a "modern" engine and has very nice low wear number with good oil and there is nothing to be gained with frequent changes.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 17th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

With Diesel engines I would think that it is more important to use a oil that that has a dispersant additive, oils designed for a diesel, so that the soot doesn't build up on the engine components and increase your viscosity. What ever oil you like to use, dino or synthetic, I would think it would be more important to change it often to get rid of the soot in it.
"Research has clearly concluded that soot increases the viscosity of the oil. Increased viscosity leads to higher temperatures, higher pumping costs and the risk of lubricant starvation, especially at start-up." http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...oot-oil-engine
Old March 17th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I always used Rotella 15W40 in my 300 tdi and changed it every 3k or so.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi