Symptoms of a bad axle CV joint? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 4th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Symptoms of a bad axle CV joint?

Always had a knocking in the drivetrain, never could find it. Think I finally tracked it down to a bad CV joint in the front-right axleshaft. Anybody ever have one of these go out, and how did you know?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

usually they let go rather explosively and leave you no doubt what happened...but if it is just worn out you will probably have a speed sensative continuous knock while rolling, generally worse when turning.
Rob
Old November 4th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
They make a knocking sound once per tire revolution while you are turning. The sound is worse the more you steer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Ok, then that's not what I'm having. It's a thunk when it takes up slack in the drivetrain.

-Hans

Old November 4th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Ok, then that's not what I'm having. It's a thunk when it takes up slack in the drivetrain.

-Hans
That sounds pretty normal for a rover. Slack in the drivetrain. Or, I actually had this noise deminish a little when I replaced my panhard rod bushings with Heims.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 4th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yep, check out all of the suspension bushings, especially the A arm end.

If you think it is in the driveline, you can lift a wheel, rotate, watch the driveshafts and see how much slack is in each area of teh driveline.
Old November 7th, 2005, 03:08 PM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

As previously stated check the suspension bushes. Also check diff pinion bearings. I have seen some where the nut just comes loose causing excessive play
Old November 7th, 2005, 05:16 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Sounds like your UJ's are going. My 90 did EXACTLY the same thing and it was a UJ. Now my 110 is doing it, and it's the UJ's. Get under the truck, grab each drive shaft one at a time and try to twist it back and forth close to the UJ on the ends and see how much it moves. If there's play, it's probably your UJs.
Old November 7th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

That was my first thought, the U-joints..... but I changed them a while back with no improvement.
I'll investigate further.

-Hans

Old October 9th, 2006, 08:47 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I have been trying to figure out a knock.. It seems speed related and really is noticeable on rough surfaces gravel road etc. I dont think it is the CATs If I am not hearing anything when the tire is spinning and the wheels are turned is it still likely a u-joint? Also I just had teh rover in for some work at a Reputable shop in Durham NC. They said things were good. I wish I could find an honest mechanic.
Old October 9th, 2006, 09:55 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
That was my first thought, the U-joints..... but I changed them a while back with no improvement.
I'll investigate further.

-Hans
Don't forget about the spline wear issue between the transmission output shaft and the transfer case input gear. It is famous for wearing out due to improper lubrication, especially if the updated cross drilled input gear has not been installed. I've heard many times that it manifests itself as the "Clunk" when putting an auto into gear, or when letting out the clutch in the manual, so it sounds like it should be on your list of things to check. I pray for you that this is not the issue, because it is a costly, pain in the butt to repair.

Old October 9th, 2006, 10:13 AM
TXRover
Joseph Reseland

rover4x4 - check your shock absorber bushings. These have worn away on me before and cause a clunk/click when the suspensions moves. It is more prevalent on gravel/bumpy roads.

Joseph
Old October 11th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I'm still trying to track it down actually, despite how old the original thread was. I ended up having to change a rotor, and while I had it out I did check that side CV joint which was still good. Never did check the other one yet. I have a vacation coming up soon, and a few things to do, but maybe I'll pull the other one as well to inspect it.

I have found a few other things that are making noise on me. One is that the tie rod ends and drop arm need to be redone, but that is a topic for another thread. The whole steering arm is rolling forward and backward, and the drop arm joint is loose enough to make a clunking noise if you shake it enough.

I still want to check for the spline wear at the transfer case input, but the bolts over the PTO cover have me a bit worried and I think they may be siezed. I don't want to try and pull the cover to check for wear and bust a few bolts in the process. But I am pretty sure that the transfer case spline piece was replaced a while back when I had a separate transfer case problem fixed by the dealership. Or at least thats what I think they meant when it says "replaced output shaft" on the invoice.

I'm going to be fixing the steering problem next week most likely, and then I'll be able to figure out of thats the noise I am hearing or not. If not, then time to dig further.

-Hans

Old October 12th, 2006, 08:20 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I have given up personally. these are the shittiest most expensive trucks anywhere. IF it aint broke itll break then youll know what to fix.
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Hans more description of noise...
Old April 6th, 2007, 01:14 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Noise fix update?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old April 6th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Most of the loud bonking noise went away..... when I changed the pittman arm, which had a very worn joint in it. It still has some driveline slack and a little bit of a bonking noise, but it's much reduced.

It's improved to the point that it's not a priority anymore, so I've been dealing with all the other little unrealated stuff lately.

-Hans

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle