Swivel replacement - single or dual plates for swivel oil seal? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 10th, 2016, 10:51 AM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
Swivel replacement - single or dual plates for swivel oil seal?

Hi folks,

Seeking wisdom of the crowd at large. Interesting issue.

In disassembling my 110 swivels to replace them with the newer teflon-coating units, I noticed that my setup had 2x metal plates bolted in to hold the seal on the back of the swivel housing. It doesn't appear to be documented this way in the parts manual as seen below. (The part number is #13)

When planning for my refresh, I bought part #12 (FRC4206) and #13 (FRC4142) (where #12 is a thicker cardboard-type gasket). I can easily reuse one of the metal plates that came off as they weren't too rusty, but it's just odd. Has anyone else seen this? Should I put two plates back on instead of one?

Online videos *seem* to show just a singular plate on there, but often no gasket. Further, part number 12 (FRC4206 [ drum brakes-rear ]) seems to indicate that I should leave it off if it's the front axle.

I seek the wisdom of the group at large! I'm pretty much halted on this decision.

Thanks!

-E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Maybe someone mistook the gasket as another metal seal retainer plate in the past... easy to do if you just look at the picture. I'd go with just the one.... all it does is hold the seal in, fit a paper gasket if your concerned about it leaking.... I think most people don't bother as it's not under any real pressure.
Old July 10th, 2016, 11:22 AM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
More digging. Landroverworkshop.com seems to indicate that you need two per side?

https://www.landroverworkshop.com/di...hafts_52600#13

Edit: Looking again that doesn't make sense. It shows "2" for the swivels too, which means the numbers listed are for both sides combined. I guess that means that someone just threw on two metal gaskets instead of a metal gasket + cardboard one? Any reason why I *wouldn't* put two back on (if I've got 'em)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
I only used one metal plate per side. My swivel housings are the newer ones for One Shot not ep90 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 10th, 2016, 11:33 AM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
I only used one metal plate per side. My swivel housings are the newer ones for One Shot not ep90 though.

Mine look like they are for one-shot: They have an oil seal on the back side of the swivel ball. Now, how well it works I don't know

Is there a definitive way to identify a swivel assembly designed for one verus another? I didn't see a lot of grease when I opened these up, but then again, I can't tell the last time this was maintained, and they've been leaking horribly for a long time.
Old July 10th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
The housing for ep90 will have a drain plug as well as a fill plug. One shot housings will only have a fill hole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 10th, 2016, 11:41 AM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
The housing for ep90 will have a drain plug as well as a fill plug. One shot housings will only have a fill hole.

Good to know! Mine have both. I've got 2x one-shots for this rebuild? Should use it instead of EP90? or am I about to start a religious battle?
Old July 10th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneTen View Post
Good to know! Mine have both. I've got 2x one-shots for this rebuild? Should use it instead of EP90? or am I about to start a religious battle?

You might.... I think the critical thing is to ensure the seal between the axle and swivel is intact. Otherwise the one shot and ep90 will cross contaminate. Not sure if there are any other concerns.

Old July 10th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneTen View Post
I use one-shot with a few tablespoons of oil thrown in for good measure to cross both sides of the aisle

And you can make your own one-shot substitute.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 11th, 2016, 05:23 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
If you don't wheel too much, One Shot will be fine...

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac