swivel rebuild - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 26th, 2006, 08:48 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
swivel rebuild

what constitutes a swivel rebuild? what wears and causes them to need a rebuild? something funky is going on with my front end. not shaking in the steering wheel but just a knocking noise does it in a straight line, I dont think its CV related since it only does it on "rough" surfaces and there is no noise when the wheels are turned to lock and the front tires are spinning. Seems to "wander" more on the road than it used to. when it rains it pours.
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2006, 08:42 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I would say bushings. Check them out adn let us know.. Also check the ball joints while you are under there. how many miles are on the truck?
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:50 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Ditto what Randy said, probably steering linkage and its easier to check and fix than the swivel ball rebuild.
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2006, 11:20 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
55k ive replaced the ends on the track rod about 11k or so ago when i got the truck. my swivels are leaking a little bit. everything seems pretty tight i am going to tighten whatever i can find on the truck this weekend. I am just stumped because of the "noise" I am hearing Ive spun the front tires with steering locked and have heard any noise from the CVs. Noises are interesting hard to diagnose, i think the rear a arm ball joint could need replacement since the little rubber boot on it is dried out and cracked. but i dont think that is causing any noise.

but as far as a swivel rebuild? whats involved I think it might be a little out of my skill and not having a good facility at my disposal doesnt help much either. Might just have to take it to the experts.. thanks
Old July 27th, 2006, 02:07 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

For the swivel rebuild I'd suggest buying a repair manual. It's not difficult, just takes some time and it's dirty work. More involved than wheel bearing overhaul especially if you replace the swivel pin bearings.

If you wheel your D it's something that would be good to know how to repair.
Old February 17th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Antonios
Antonios Hadjigeorgalis
No more

I think I might need to rebuild mine. My truck came to a screeching halt yesterday in the middle of a trrip from NYC to Baltimore. It wouldn't go forward until I reversed, then it drov forward ok. As I got back on the highway it didn't seem right, very shaky, but the wind was blowing hard so I'm not quite sure how much was from the truck. It also seemed like it wanted to lock up again a few times but it didn;t happen. I also had to pump the brakes once before they would work after driving like this.

Are there any good sources for hub rebuild parts or a kit? I searched through the forum and it seems highly likely the hubs is the culprit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rebuild