Swivel pin shims - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 27th, 2007, 04:39 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Swivel pin shims

I have a small wobble up front, not a death wobble by any means. I know my swivel pin preload is too light from how it felt when I last changed the front axles and CVs. I have a new front axle housing coming and will pull everything down and do it right then but for now want to tighten it up just a bit. The same sides swivel weeps just a bit. There are 4 shims, one .035" , two .010", and one .005 shim. In total thats 60 thousandths of shims. I was thinking of removing one .010 and the .050 for now just to tighten it a bit and stop the leaking a bit. Anyone have an idea if that will A) Do anything B) have me in any danger of making things too tight?
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2007, 06:48 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Take the smallest one out and see what happens. Buy a fish scale (the thing that weighs it ,not the skin covering) and check the pre-load. It is hard to guess at how much to remove not knowing how loose it is. Actually ...skip the fawkin' fish scale as it is pretty hard to get a good read on the pre-load with all the internals and seals in it. It shouldn't flop around but should turn freely....hows that.

Did this start to happen after you installed that new panhard rod?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Monkeyboy

Gotta agre with that one.

I don't even remember the numbers, but when I removed one of the thinnest shims the preload was effected significantly.

It couldn't have been .010

KAA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2007, 09:01 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Better too tight than too loose but best to do the job properly. Get out the fish scale.
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:01 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I took out a single .010 shim for now. Not sure if it happened at the same time as the Pan Hard Rod or when I put a bend in the passenger side radius arm? The old PH bushing were pretty soft and from 1989 so I would not think the heimed rod would be worse, especially with brand new misalingment bushings and bolts.

As soon as I pick up the front axle housing I am going to replace I will do the swivel ball seals and test it all correctly with no seals and no CVs in there.
The radius arm bushes are all pretty shot too, so I will be doing new radius arms and bushes there as well. I think the only thing left from when I bought it at this point is the paint.
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I had the death wobbles the other night on my skateboard coming down a big hill by my house. I think it was caused by the IPA I was drinking but just as likely was caused by excessive speed and loose front truck. I thought I was going to preload my shorts!

All that aside, once the preload is set, does it ever really go out of adjustment? I have never checked mine since it seems right, but if they regularly need adjusting every say, 100,000 miles or whatever, I would like to know. What does wear to alter this preload? Just curious, really.
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:36 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

The preload changes as the bearings wear. The bearings settle into the race as wear occurs, this reduces the preload on the bearing by creating less force on the bearing into the cup (race). Removing the shim increases the preload on the bearing by increasing the force on the bearing pressing against the race.
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:40 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I'd still check that panhard rod out. I've been having some flex issues with a couple of them. Couldn't get the shimmy out and just for giggles ran a stock PH and "wobble be gone". Replaced what seemed to be perfectly good Heim joints in adjustable unit and all was good.

Yup...you've still got the paint.....and the loose nut behind the wheel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old June 29th, 2007, 09:32 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

MB,

Good source for the replacement heims? Shimmy comes and goes, I can see the tread edge track dead straight sometimes and then feel it and there is the tread edge wobbling.

Of course people wonder why I'm imitating Ace Ventura going down the road.

KB
Old June 29th, 2007, 12:11 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

deleted post
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:57 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

http://www.spidertrax.com

Old June 30th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

When setting preload in the land cruiser community, it's proper to do some additional measurements to ensure that the CV is centered in the knuckle. This will give a proper alignment for the inner seal that separates the diff oil from the CV. Does Rover have anything like this?

jC
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:40 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

It's strange, Matt has worn out a set of rod ends in a year or so and I have had another cutomer do the same. The rod ends on the front end of my Disco (six) have been in place for almost 5 years of daily driving, winter weather salt (yes in Colorado they call something else but it's really salt). Not a one of them has gotten loose to the point of death wobble.. Tie Rod, drag link and panhard rod all have them.. Are my wheels bent? yes. Will they balance worth a crap? No.

Quite a mystery..

Jim i have never read in Coiler Rover manual to center the swivel housing and on later ABS cars it would be quite a chore.. I seem to recall something about that in the Series manuals and there can be shims both top and bottom on those... The original "spares kit in my '73 FJ40 came with shims!

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old July 1st, 2007, 07:51 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Yup its a mystery. Unless you see the shite we drive in around here in the winter. I have another rig in the shop that needs rod ends. They look like balls of rust on the and of a tube. I sprayed mine down with Boesheild fairly often and wondered if the dirt sticking to that caused any extra wear. These latest victims where definately not treated to any kind of protective coating and are so shot and rusty.... it is really sad.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11

Size? Thread? Maybe I will just buy the cheaper ones and replace annually.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:40 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The ball joints (aka Tie rod ends in american) that are coming from non-genuine sources are absolute CRAP.

Been this way for a while. Pay the $40 a pop and get genuine.

Ron
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:28 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

We are talking about heims Ron, not tie rod ends. BTW Paypal sent.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
Size? Thread? Maybe I will just buy the cheaper ones and replace annually.
Dunno....ever since I put down the pipe I haven't been able to remember crap. If you can wait 'till tommorow I can give part # or better still call me.

probably wouldn't recommend cheap.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:20 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

They are 3/4" thread with a 3/4 hole but be sure to get the 'rated" versions, you will tear a cheap on apart in automotive use. Check out the 'Seals it" product on the Spidertracks website.. It is essentually a rubber boot for the rod end to keep out the eliments and perhaps even keep lubricant in.. I've been wanting to try these out for a while.

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.38/.f

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:32 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

great....now you tell us. I'll order some up and see if they help w/ the shite and all.

ok Keith, now that's sorted what do I do about the chunks of metal that are sticking out of the rear diff housing? It's leaking a fair amount of oil and making LOUD NOISES. (did I call that or what)?

KB....bash on regardless and have fun with the new fish scale. Good luck with it. Somthin' tells me that you are about to start down that road of trying to get the shakes and wobbles out ....the road that has no end.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions