Swivel pin shims - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 12th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

So after doing the swivels, seals, track rod, drag link, and panhard rods (all rods and bushings), I have a new-to-this-wonderful-beast wobble above 60 or 65 mph... it progresses from a mild shake into what I'm thinking you guys are calling a death wobble - wheel moves 1-3 inches at the outside until I get back under 60 mph.

I used new pins and new bearings, old races and shims. I'm guessing I need to add a shim... but what size? And which wheel (both?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2007, 07:19 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

sound to me more like you'd need to remove a shim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old July 16th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

A proud man would STFU about this, but...

The shims are fine, I think. The lug nuts were loose. I mean loose enough that one flew off last night as we got to our destination, 50 miles from home. I recovered it, and the original lug wrench did the job of putting them back to right. The original jack, of course, was dead (timely thread on here!).

After getting them on tight, we drove 5 miles, stopped and re-checked them. The truck perfectly drove smooth up to 70mph.

BTW, she passed the MD emissions test. All that's left is little stuff and getting a welder on that frame.

(and of course, apologies for thread drift)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2007, 06:31 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

If you ever decide to come to New England, please let us know so we can stay home while you drive through.....

glad you got it sorted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions