Swivel Pin Housing Seal and Bearing Service - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 23rd, 2014, 12:53 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Swivel Pin Housing Seal and Bearing Service

I'm getting ready to replace the gaskets, Seals and Bearings on my Swivel Pin Housings. First time doing it so I am reading up on it to make sure I don't break something. The workshop manual has ok info, I find the Haynes Manual to be more helpful as well as this thread on LR4X4. Now to my questions. Should I cut the seals when installing them as advised by Terri Ann and others? Also, any suggestions where I go to get a fish scale to set the correct resistance? Anything else I should watch out for?
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2014, 12:57 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I'm getting ready to replace the gaskets, Seals and Bearings on my Swivel Pin Housings. First time doing it so I am reading up on it to make sure I don't break something. The workshop manual has ok info, I find the Haynes Manual to be more helpful as well as this thread on LR4X4. Now to my questions. Should I cut the seals when installing them as advised by Terri Ann and others? Also, any suggestions where I go to get a fish scale to set the correct resistance? Anything else I should watch out for?
NO - cutting is a field expedient repair allowing seal replacement without removing everything outboard of the swivel.

Fish scale at Bass pro, big-5, walmart, etc..

Have fun and call if you need help.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:06 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I had 1 seal leaking so I did the Terri Ann method and it works perfect. I saw no reason to tear the whole thing down to replace the seal. Good thing you have a '95 as the upper pins & swivels in the '97's I have yes to nail down what the exact part would be since they're hollow for the rough road sensors. Could be the '93 110 swivels & pins could work (they're bigger) but I'm not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:07 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Don't cut the seal.

Cutting the seal is for when you don't want to disassemble the knuckle and remove the swivel ball from the housing.

Fish scale? I would try a fishing supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:07 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks Brian! It's very likely I'll be calling you halfway through it. Nelly mentioned using the old seal to put in the new one, which seal was that? I'm curious about which parts I can expect to give me a hard time.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:08 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Fish supply store. Who would have thought! Thanks guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
service