Swivel ball rust - replacement mandatory? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 6th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Matt J.
None at the moment
Swivel ball rust - replacement mandatory?

My swivel balls have "some" rust / pitting... it's been suggested that I just switch to grease and see how it goes for now... This is a good source, though I won't name names, y'all know him.

I don't understand the whole preload thing for the bearings/races on the swivel, so I'm hesitant to replace the swivel ball... making the suggested attractive. OTOH, I don't want to go through all this just to do it again to replace it properly. I'm just a bit concerned about trying to preload the pin bearings.

Anyone care to explain preloading bearings? I saw one picture online (and only 1) using a simple fish scale hooked to a hub bolt... but I don't really get what they're measuring - the force required to start turning the hub?

As to how rusty? Perhaps 10% of the visible surface area is rust. Enough that the old seal, when I moved it over the rust, was notably having friction in those areas.

Old June 6th, 2007, 04:52 PM
defender 130
Grease it and forget about it. I did mine in grease almost 5 years ago and they are doing fine. The only exception I could think of would be if you spend a lot of time in the water. It's a PIA to change the grease if water gets in there. I most of my trips in the desert so it's not a issue.

Old June 6th, 2007, 08:38 PM
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
I have heard that you can fill the ball up with Molley Grease.

Old June 6th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Joe Zinter
I've got the same issue, but I have very very minor rust spots on mine. Anyone care to share a bit more information on the procedure to switch over to to grease. My rust is minor, and normally I wouldn't bother repairing them, but I have the axles off the vehicle and completely torn down at moment.

As far as other repair methods... I have heard of sanding, JB welding the the bad spots, filing those areas smooth, and then coating the whole ball in POR-15. Sounds like a PITA, but I have heard from multiple people that it works.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions