Swivel Ball Replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 4th, 2016, 08:17 PM
Shearpin
Henry Stinson
'73 Series III SWB '84 110 tdi

Swivel Ball Replacement

I recently did a quick reseal on my front swivels - specifically, the primary seal and inner axle seal. Both lasted about 7 months. There is some minor pitting and obvious swivel pin wear that I assume put an end to the primary seal.

I am not so sure why it consumed the inner axle seal? The breather works. Is it possible to run without this seal and allow the oil to flow from the diff to the hub?

It looks as though early 110's with 7 bolt swivel ball patterns and "skinny" front suspension arms require part #FTC5105. Is it beneficial or possible to convert from the railko bush to the bearing and pins at this time? What is the preferred aftermarket brand of swivel ball? It looks as though BritPart is sold by most venders...

Time to stop looking for a quick fix and do it right...

Thanks again,
Henry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2016, 08:31 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearpin View Post
Is it possible to run without this seal and allow the oil to flow from the diff to the hub?

Absolutely.
Many here run *wet* hubs.
Get RTC 3511 hub seals.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 4th, 2016, 10:37 PM
Shearpin
Henry Stinson
'73 Series III SWB '84 110 tdi

Good to hear... I am running RTC3511, but I did not realize FTC3276 could be eliminated by using them. I find when this seal fails the oil runs from hub to differential with no return flow.

Thanks...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac