Swivel Ball "leather" boots - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 19th, 2015, 01:05 PM
speedpin
Adam
1985 130 Gen IV

Registry
Swivel Ball "leather" boots

My mod 110 has the optional swivel boots guess to keep dirt off the swivel ball surface so that a particle does not destroy a part of the lip or get lodged in the seal lip.

Anyone run them or have a preference based on running with and without over time. I imagine they hold muddy water after hitting a few trails. I think I am going to remove them.
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Although I have no experience with these in particular it would really depend on the leather. Some is almost airtight and depending on tanning could be almost water proof. However if the seal broke or you cracked them I think you'd be in for trouble as they'd hold dirt and water in and grind away at the swivel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 19th, 2015, 04:48 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

When I bought my series rig in the mid-90s it had leather gators on it. I was suspicious of the condition of the swivel balls until I opened up the laces to check, but they were is excellent shape at the time. I seem to recall that the laces were to be at the bottom to allow drainage. IF I had a rig with good swivel balls that already had the leather gators, I would leave the gators on but I would not pay squat to put them on a rig. FWIW
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I would just replace the swivel balls with the newer style black ones and not worry about it.
Old November 19th, 2015, 06:38 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Do swivels wear out? Both of my trucks don't leak a drop from the swivel, I use 90wt.
Old November 19th, 2015, 07:57 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

I would run the gators in dusty/dry conditions and pull them after wet muddy conditions.

Half the fun of owning a Land Rover is working on it.

Wait, have I been brainwashed????
Old November 19th, 2015, 08:01 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Do swivels wear out? Both of my trucks don't leak a drop from the swivel, I use 90wt.
Yes, they can pit quite badly, but you probably won't ever have an issue in NC.
Old November 19th, 2015, 08:28 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
My range rover has some scratches but neither leak after replacing the seal, the lower swivel pin on the classic leaks like a sieve
Old November 19th, 2015, 08:34 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedpin View Post
My mod 110 has the optional swivel boots guess to keep dirt off the swivel ball surface so that a particle does not destroy a part of the lip or get lodged in the seal lip.
The swivel boots were designed primarily for use in the desert to keep sharp sand grains from damaging the lip of the swivel seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedpin View Post
Anyone run them or have a preference based on running with and without over time. I imagine they hold muddy water after hitting a few trails. I think I am going to remove them.
The inside leather boots should be soaked in oil before installing. They should be installed with the laced opening facing down so water can drain out. if the truck is used in wet or humid environments the boots should be opened up on occasion and any condensation removed off the ball. If you don't do that the moisture will cause the balls to pit and damage them instead of protecting them. Most of the Series folks don't use them anymore because of this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions