Swivel Ball Fluid leak... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 20th, 2014, 02:40 PM
MikeRuby
Mike Ruby
'95 D90 #2523

Swivel Ball Fluid leak...

Is there a smart method to keep this leak from causing any issues until I can make the time to replace all the seals? I figure I can make the time in about a month, and she's not my DD... but I don't want to create a bigger problem if I drive her a few miles in the meantime... Advice from you smart people would be helpful. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2014, 02:44 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

You don't mention how much leakage you're experiencing. Three choices really. Either keep it topped with oil, drain and pump full of CV grease or replace the seal now. Hell, most folks are driving around with empty swivels and don't realize it.
Old June 20th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

If you're not running in water you could go a long time just pumping the new filler grease in the reservoir. X2 on most not knowing...the bigger concern is when nothing is leaking!

I get nervous and check levels when drips are absent. Post a photo of your leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2014, 02:59 PM
MikeRuby
Mike Ruby
'95 D90 #2523

thanks...

It's not leaking much... she had sat for about a month when the clutch master cyl finally completely gave out, and this morning as I was crawling around under her finishing the slave replacement, I noticed a nice drip line running down the tire. If you guys don't tell me I'm an idiot, I'll simply top her off for a few weeks and do the whole thing in about a month. I'll stay out of the water in the meantime...
Old June 20th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Should be fine, I know guys doing the DD thing with worse. You should switch to grease when you can...better lube quality (IMO), not as messy...but some like old school...it's all good!
Old June 20th, 2014, 03:17 PM
MikeRuby
Mike Ruby
'95 D90 #2523

Thanks for the advice

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions